Dried bean question.

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by fernando, Dec 7, 2005.

1. fernando

fernando Well-Known Member

Will frozen seed germinate? I just pulled down my remaining shell beans that have dried over the past couple months - they have gone through several freeze/thaw cycles - are they still viable or do i eat them ?

2. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

i havent done it with beans still in the shell, but some pintos that were in the freezer for a few years sprouted real well.

i guess germination won't be as good as young/unfrozen beans, but if the bean was dry enough when it went in the freezer, you'll still have some sprouts.

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Why don't you do a germination test on them. Just soak about 10 beans overnite, drain and wrap in a damp paper towel and put it in a sandwich baggy. See if they sprout.

4. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

There should be absolutely no problem. Their natural method of propagation is to rest on the surface of the ground all winter while awaiting the warm spring. Cold will not bother a bean. In fact, many gardeners deliberately freeze their beans for at least 24 hours to kill any bruchids, bean seed beetles. My personal seed stock for White Willow Leaf lima accidentally ended up spending all of last winter in the garden shed. Pencil Pod Wax beans are out there right now and I expect 100% germination.

Martin

5. cpeyus

cpeyus Well-Known Member

Does this mean we could sow the seeds now & let 'em do their thing in the spring?

6. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Cpeyus, in a single word response, YES! Ironic in that there is currently also a thread here on winter sowing. Check out my friend Trudi Davidoff's site. All of the cold answers are there. In many ways, it's a real eye-opener!

http://www.wintersown.org

Martin