dried apples

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ratherbefishin, Oct 30, 2004.

1. ratherbefishin

ratherbefishin Well-Known Member

I just got a food dehydrator and have access to some winter keeper apples[ winter banana]- any tips and/or experiance in drying them?do you dip them in lemon juice to keep them from going brown-or is that important?

2. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

my BIL dries over 10 bushels of apples in a year. here's how he does it....

he uses an apple peeler-correr-slicer thingy.... cuts the apple in 1/2 to make slices, then puts them in lemon juice. When he's done, he arranges them on the drier trays. He sprinkles a cinnamon & sugar mix on top & starts them dehydrating. They taste WONDERFUL! He just makes them to eat... not to re-hydrate & cook.

If he's going to cook with them, he omits the cinnamon & sugar but does the rest the same.

3. ratherbefishin

is that straight lemon juice[ is ''real lemon'' reconstituted lemon juice ok]- and how long are they in the lemon juice- just dipped?

4. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

he uses the real lemon stuff... and a little water... and he keeps them in there until he's ready to put them on a tray.. so he only cuts 1 tray full at a time

5. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

I just started dehydrating apples this year. I think I read 4 Tablespoons lemon juice to 1 quart cold water and not to soak for more than 20 minutes. Hope that helps. We think they are best right before they are done, while they are warm, yummm. My children will have about two trays gone before I turn it off. Good luck.

6. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

We just finished dehydrating a bushel of Cortland apples (oh, joy! They are my favorite!) Truth is, we just slice 'em up, slap 'em on the trays, and let 'er rip for a day or so. (Start at 140 degrees for 2 hours, then down to 130 til done.) No Fruit-Fresh, no lemon juice, no ascorbic acid. AND no discoloration, and no complaints. It's hard to keep them around!

Last night, our dear friends came over and polished off a full quart of dried apples just sitting around chatting. They loved the apples so much, I am going to dry up enough to give them a gallon jug of them for Christmas. :)

Pony!

7. ratherbefishin

How do you know when the apples have been in the dehydrator long enough, how do you store them and how long will they keep?However, equally, anytime I have done anything like this, they were eaten long before they had a chance to mold, which is not neccesarily a bad thing either.I'm trying to get the kids to discover there;s something besides candy that's sweet and tastes good

8. ratherbefishin

talk about mental telepathy-my answear was being posted as I posted my question!

9. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I don't use lemon juice, I use vinegar and salt. Two tablespoons each per gallon of water. Don't leave for more than 20 minutes, or they'll taste salty. cheaper than lemon juice, and I always have both around. Got the mix from my grandmothers old food preservation book.

After they're dry, I store them airtight, where my family can't find them. After I make my granola in the fall, they can have what's left!

Meg :)

10. Pony

I put the dried apples into mason jars. Then it's either to the back shelf of the pantry or the freezer.

Like Meg, I try to hide them, but my family has become clever in locating them. I am thinking about wrapping them in butcher paper and labeling them "Liver." <EG>

It makes me feel good to be able to provide healthy edibles like dried apples for my family. It leaves the chocolate ice cream for me! BWAhahahaha!

Pony!

11. Pony

Meg, other than avoiding darkening of the fruit, do you feel the vinegar/salt aids in preserving the fruit for a longer period of time?

Pony!

12. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

Meg Z - What's your granola recipe????

13. ratherbefishin

so, I peeled , cored and sliced enough apples to fill the dehydrator,dipped them in lemonjuice,placed them on the trays and tuned it on-how long before they are done?[I sliced them fairly thin]

14. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Pony,

I haven't a clue if they keep longer with the vinegar/salt. I've dried about a bushel of apples so far this fall, and they'll be gone by Christmas, one way or another....

JAS, I'll pm you with the granola recipe I use.

Meg :)

15. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

Ratherbefishin, I can't help you, I put in my first batch today and I keep eating them to see if they are done yet! :haha:

16. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

This thread is very interesting and helpful. I'll want to try dehydrating cinamon apple. It sounds delicious. The hints given here are great!

A couple years ago, my Rescue crab apple tree proliferated with fruit. It doesn't do this every year. I asked a friend what to do with all those small apples. These are not quite as tart as the small wild crab apples. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't be well suited for dehydrating, do you?
    Any thoughts about handling the small tart crab apples for dehydrating?

Rich

17. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

I think it takes my bro-in-law a day at least. I'm not for sure... I like the idea of eating them until you get the right dryness... :D

18. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

You could do a test batch to learn how to tell.
    Try this:
    As soon as the apples seem like they might be dry enough, take off all but one tray. Just use your best guess, and try to err on the underdone side at this point.
    Set the removed trays aside for awhile.
    Keep the practice batch going and recheck how they look every hour or so.
    You'll soon know if the ones you removed have to dry longer and for how long.

Second test - after you package your apples in jars or bags, check on them daily for the first week or so to see if any moisture appears inside your packaging.

19. ratherbefishin

looks like the ''storage'' question will be irrelevant-I keep eating them to test for being done....I left them in for 8 hours at140*, and the upper trays appear done,the lower ones need more time.I shook some sugar/cinnemon on them-that definately inhibits storage[they get eaten]

20. seahealth

seahealth Well-Known Member

I have never used any lemon juice for mine either. I have sprinkled with cinnamon too. I normally let mine dehydrate until they are stiff and crispy. If you allow any moisture to remain, they will not keep as long, besides, I don't like them unless they are crunchy. The key to getting them that crisp is to make sure you make really thin slices.

by the way, if you spread applesauce out on one of the sheets made for liquid - you can make fruit roll ups, I normally sprinkle some toasted wheat germ on top of those to add extra nutrition and flavor.