Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone figured out how to get dehydrated apples to be crispy instead of that leathery texture?

I thought of building a freeze drying system but the cost is a bit higher than what I want to expend.

I love dehydrated banana's but can never get apples crispy like that.

Anyone?

·
Premium Member
25,198 Posts
Let them dry longer. I make crispy dried apples every year. Also, don't slice them thicker than about 1/4 inch.

·
Banned
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let them dry longer. I make crispy dried apples every year. Also, don't slice them thicker than about 1/4 inch.
Tried that.. I used a meat slicer machine to make them 1/8, 3/16 , 1/4 and even some 5/16 slices.

Let dry in dehydrator with fan and heater for 3 days.. All turned leathery..

I've tried low temps, and higher temps without luck..

What am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
295 Posts
One year we had too many sliced apples in the freezer and not enough dehydrated. I took them out, partially thawed and spread them on the dehydrator trays. They turned out ultra crispy like the store bought ones I've had. It's an extra step but it worked wonderfully.

Lisa

·
Banned
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One year we had too many sliced apples in the freezer and not enough dehydrated. I took them out, partially thawed and spread them on the dehydrator trays. They turned out ultra crispy like the store bought ones I've had. It's an extra step but it worked wonderfully.

Lisa
Please elaborate.. Are you suggesting that the freezing of the apple somehow enhanced its ability to become crispy?

That's a new one.. and if that is in fact what you are saying, I will try it right away.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Right, that's how it seemed. That experiment hasn't been repeated but the same thing never happened with fresh apples. The apple slices were a bit drippy when thawed (of course) but they came out tasty and crisp.

·
Banned
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just sliced a red delicious apple up and am dehydrating it now.. I will let it get to a leathery texture and then freeze it.. once frozen, I will stick it into the dehydrator again and let it run until dry and we'll see what happens..

Does that sound right?

I'm wondering if I should have just sliced the apple and freeze the slices and then dehydrate instead of the two step dehydrating.

Either way.. if it works, you'll be my favorite person for the month!!!

·
Banned
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Leave them in the dehydrator longer. Another day should do it.
We can dry just about anything in 12 to 14 hours.. My dehydrator has both electric heater and electric fan...

If its not crispy in 24 hours, its never going to get crispy using that method.

·
Premium Member
25,198 Posts
Maybe it's the dehydrator. I've got one of those cheap round Ronco dehydrators. I can get anything dried and crispy.

·
Banned
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is the kind of dehydrator I have..
http://www.amazon.com/Nesco-FD-1018...1_24?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1413949230&sr=1-24

Mine is only 500 watts so it takes a max of 14 trays instead of 30.. but even with just two trays loaded and the temp maxed out at 155, it won't make a crispy apple.

I can turn jerky into "jerky brittle" if I let it go to long with meat.. Usually even with all 14 trays filled up with meat strips dripping in secret sauce, it will dry the jerky to a perfect texture in 6 to 8 hours... (sometimes 10 if its raining outside)

But with apples.. i'm screwed.. they just turn into leather.

I have another batch in the freezer I'm going to get going soon..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts