Dreams ... and the holidays ...

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by SFM in KY, Nov 20, 2006.

1. SFM in KY

SFM in KY Well-Known Member Supporter

Does anyone else seem to notice that as the holidays get closer they tend to dream more and more vividly about family/friends that are no longer here?

For a number of years now, it seems like I do. Usually starting around September, it seems, or at least in the fall of the year, my dreams often seem to include my parents, who have been gone now nearly 15 years ... often my grandmother as well, who died when I was in my 30s ... and just last night a very vivid dream including my mother, grandmother and grandfather ... and a Christmas visit.

I rarely dream about my grandfather, as he died when I was in my early 20s although he was a major part of my life until that time it seems I do not often dream about him clearly. But the dreams of my parents are often very clear and vivid especially coming into the holidays. Dreams of my grandmother ... or ranch neighbors that I grew up with and were included in our holiday celebrations ... seem to increase a lot for me about this time of year.

Does this happen to anyone else or do you notice a difference?

2. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

I definately notice thinking about loved ones that have passed on more this time of year, although I'm not sure I dream about them more. My favorite uncle's favorite holiday was Thanksgiving, and every year he sat at the head of the table and boomed out, "Today is the BEST day of the year". That popped into my head the other day, and I just started to cry and couldn't stop!

3. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

Yes, very much so. Generally starting in October, when I lost my mother, and right through the holidays. I expect it's the subconscious mind trying to order random thoughts at this time of year. The dreams are always very vivid for me, but then most dreams are. I have always dreamt vividly, in colour.

Some days it makes me happy, other days it makes me sad. Today, I'm just leary. Last night I dreamt of all of those old friends and family members that I have lost -- and right in the middle of it, a very close friend from Ontario -- who so far as I am aware, is alive and well. I'm trying not to read anything into it, but I woke up seriously freaked out :shrug:

4. jen74145

jen74145 Well-Known Member Supporter

Maybe I'm the odd one out. While I do dream about departed people more during this time, I find I dream more about departed pets!
    And in fact, often wake up fully expecting to find my old girl sleeping nearby... but no. Now, THAT makes me sad. The rest of it I can accept, but somehow, to me, dogs should never die... :Bawling: