Dreamer?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by LenLigmaH, Apr 16, 2006.

1. LenLigmaH

LenLigmaH New Member

Hello all. I just discovered this forum and it may be what I need. In 1974, I sold everything and moved from California to 5-acres in a small Southern Oregon town. The following 14-years were the best of my life. I raised my kids, goats and large gardens. Then circumstances changed my location and for the next 15-years, I lived in a suburb in Salem, Oregon. The last 10 of those years was a downward spiral of heartbreak and despair beginning with the death of my 25-year-old daughter, followed closely by my brother, but nothing prepared me for losing my 18-year-old son Zachary in a car crash in 2000. Then a little over a year ago, Zach's dad and I ended a 23-year marriage. Upside down and inside out is inadequate to describe my life during all this...but feels like I am finally getting to my feet.

I now sit in a mobile home in a park with my 84-year old mom. I long to return to country living. She's still sharp kicking my-you know what-in Scrabble most of the time, and Rummy often. She is into getting out of here also. Now, I am not talking about outhouses, no running water or no electricity...been there, done that!

I am a very spry 64-year-old woman and extremely resourceful in country living. The divorce proceeds left me poorly. My assets lay in the mobile and a small dependable income each month.

The criteria for me to afford something country in my 1974 move was a "one-horse" town in a poverty-stricken county. I'm sure this still stands true. Can someone give me advice on what areas to look into?

2. QBVII

QBVII Well-Known Member

Hello, and welcome.
    Well, if you want to move somewhere where you can live relatively cheaply, I say western KY or TN, MO....etc.
    I'm not clear on what you're wanting to do, though: will you be selling the mobile home? Or will you want to move it?
    Anyway, I'm from western KY and can say that land there is cheap (relatively.)

3. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

First, let me offer my sincere condolences on your losses. I cannot even imagine the pain you and your ex experienced. My heart goes out to you.

I echo the recommendations made previously. I'm personally fond of southern Missouri and northern Arkansas. Land is reasonable, people are friendly.

Blessings on you and your mom.

4. Obser

Obser "Mobile Homesteaders"

LenLigmaH,

Welcome to the forum.

You have "had a hard row to hoe", may the next years be comfortable and happy.

Do you wish to leave the west coast? Can your mobile home be expected to sell for enough to provide a bit of a "grubstake"?

Most of the southeastern quadrant states (as far west as Texas and north to include Missouri then east to Virginia or the Carolinas) have comparatively low land prices and cost of living, at least in more rural areas.

5. LenLigmaH

LenLigmaH New Member

Thank you for your help. Hummm, I've never even thought of kentucky. Yes, I would be selling the mobile. I guess I will have to look on Internet for Kentucky newspaper listings...maybe even contact a few realtors, though I'd much rather deal with a direct owner/seller. Big problem is not knowing the area. Thanks again. Take care

6. LenLigmaH

LenLigmaH New Member

Thank all of you for your interest. A 5th wheeler has crossed my mind as well as old school bus and etc...I've pretty well done it all at one time. Even lived in a teepee for awhile. A yurt is another possibility. It's hard to figure anything out right now because of not putting the cart before the horse...or however that dang thing goes...and my mom couldn't "rough" it as I could. I'll just keep checking back with this forum and take in what I can. Take care. Lynn

7. fitwind

fitwind Well-Known Member

Welcome Im relatively new here too. sorry to hear about all your misfortune. just remember sometimes what appears to be for the worse isnt so I recently moved to missouri after losing my husband and had horrible credit and was basic with out any hopes when i moved here it was just a dream I found a place and still couldnt get hinto it with my bad credit but the real estate agent had a friend that was also in real estate and sold me my little dream farm now i have it and my mortgage is only $ 290.00 a mo so dont lose your dream you can find it maybe in sw missouri

8. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Hi, I'm in a similar situation. Younger, though, as I'm 49. I live with my 92-y-o grandmother in a place that belongs to her, on one acre of land. At least it's paid for, though. And I have my youngest daughter with me, as she's autistic and will never be able to live independently. My concern is for where we will live when Grandma is dead (which hopefully won't be for a few years -- she's still in good shape for her age!). But I want to be prepared, as we were homeless for over a year after my marriage of 28 years broke up. Even if we have to camp in a tent while I build a cabin, I want to be sure we have land of our own, paid for, to go to. That's why I've been present on the threads about buying land together with other people. (You might want to check into that, too, by the way. It could be a good way to get a little more 'place' for the amount of money you'd have, and you'd have homesteading neighbors.)

If you can find people here that sound like they would make good neighbors, then look for property near them, you would at least have someone you know in your new home area. It really is hard to move into a new area 'cold'.

Kathleen

9. Jc05

Jc05 Well-Known Member

We have an older fixer upper in North Central Ark. that we are going to be selling sometime in the future on 1.3 acres We have more land down the road and we are either going to build there or find a place close by that is a little bigger already built. Our problem with selling it now is that we need to save up more money if we are going to build because we wouldn't have no place to go while building and we have small kids. If we sold outright now, we'd have the money to build, but no place to go and no other houses picked out. Main problem with the house is that the floors need to be releveled and other than that, its just outdated, good news it will be priced at about what some people are paying for an SUV. If you might be interested in the future, PM me your e-mail and I can send you a not so good picture.