Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imagine for a moment that you are paranoid, like to prep and money is no object. (okay imagine money is no object, lol)

You have decided to search for the ideal homestead location. If it is where you already live please explain why. With a huge budget you can pick and choose anything you want.

Based on basic prep principles please explain your top priorities and what location in the continental US would fit. Doesn’t have to be for sale currently.

*How far from the closest town?
*Population and distance of closest big town?
*Away from natural dangers such as hurricanes, earthquake zones, flood zones etc?
*Away from potential targets such as military bases, large power plants, chemical threat, fallout?
*Ability to be self sustaining long term including things like shelter, water, food production etc.
*Ability to defend, lots of flat spaces to see for miles or deeply wooded?

You get the idea. Dream up the best place to “get your prep on” away from zombies in case of SHTF or TEOTWAWKI. I love the south and wooded hills. I also read that most of the south is within a couple hours of very densely populated cities.......A Montana hideaway may be bad due to snowstorms and slow growing season.

:goodjob:

·
WV , hilltop dweller
3,613 Posts
Money is no object??? I'll have mine like they do for the Prez... total self contained underground with nitrogen flushed grain storage , freezers and power plant and air scrubbers and hydroponics and fish tanks and animal barns and staff and ......you get the idea.

·
1/2 bubble off plumb
8,811 Posts
OK, I'll play

I have no real idea where but it would likely would be in Ohio as that's where family is, but we don't have to be "near" them. Most of our other wants would not be possible to find near my folks or BIL's family - they are in urban areas.

We would be about 15-20 miles from a town with "box stores". This way we could run into the "big city" once a month or so to stock up. Population wouldn't be an issue as I'd want enough land to not see my neighbors - say 30 acres or more. Being Ohio Eearthquakes and hurricanes are a minimal threat. Tornadoes might be an issue, but since our ideal homestead has an underground house - tornadoes are also a minimal threat (more of an issue for out buildings - but with endless money we can build them right).

Land would have hardwood woods maybe 10-20 ac, garden space 2 ac - although not all of it would be "in production" and springs. It can't be flat - DH and I just hate flat land. Defense of the land wouldn't be too big an issue for us, we just don't see that as a problem for us.

Hospitals would have to be within reasonable distance. The definition of reasonable - I don't know. Either that or an area close enough for a copter to land - Dh and his family are notorious for injuring them selves - he's got a beautiful scar on the back of his hand from dropping an ax on it - need I say more? DS looks to be following in his Daddies footsteps.

So - looks like SE Ohio for us. We still get a full 4 season and the growing season is a month or so longer then we are use to in NE Ohio.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Imagine - Ok - There Would Be A Moat Two Miles From My Present House....that Was Two Miles Wide The Other Direction. Our Present Land Would Be Elevated A 1/4 Of A Mile. The Nearest House To Me On The Highway Would Be Under A Deep Lake. Across The Side Street From Me Would Be A Deep Lake For 1/2 Mile Long And Two Hundred Feet Wide.

The Rest Of The Neighbors Can Stay As Long As They Sign A Pledge That ' They Are Welcome As Long As They Come To Enjoy The Peace And Quiet'. Breaking The Pledge Would Earn Them A Canoe Worthy Of Crossing The Two Mile Moat Before It Fell Apart.

This Community Is A 2 Mile Square Already, Surrounded By Large Ranches, River, Orange Groves On All Sides. 10 To 15 Miles From Small Towns. All The Bad Apples Of The 300 Homes Out Here Seem To Be At The End Of My Street, Which Is The Gateway To The Community.

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
If money was no object, I would buy an island. Don't know where -- islands don't come up for sale every day, no matter how much money you have to spend. It would need to be fairly good-sized, with good water, farmland, and forested land. It should have only one or two good landing spots, with the rest of the shore protected by high cliffs and lots of sharp rocks, LOL! I would prefer an island in the ocean, rather than in a lake, and temperate climate rather than tropical.

Kathleen

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I saw an island for sale 2 years ago...only 8 mil in the San Juan Island area. It would be bad for tsunami, wind, and earthquakes though.

·
Super Moderator
16,906 Posts
I want an entire ROOM for preps!!!!!!! Other than that, I really just need perhaps 2 .2 more acres so I can keep livestock. A well would be most excellent also!

Seriously, I am very well set up location wise! I have neighbors, but I see that as a plus.

I would LOVE one wall to be filled with non-food items: the kerosin heater, plastic slickers, etc. One wall for grains, one wall for canned goods, and one wall for blankets and long underwear and such.

A SMALL work table in the middle.

I would never lose anything again!!!!!!!!

But, our house is VERY full just with us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
Aww ... I guess the government doesn't really want us working out an ideal prepper's fortress haven.

Ok, enough playing around. Sorry to distract from your serious purpose, Hintonlady. :) Anyway, my ideal could be a castle or a small wooden shack ... anything is fine ... so long as it is far away from the long arm of the government.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Money is no object. That is already the case. It's only money if all parties concerned agree that it is.

Secrecy is very important when making plans that your life depends on. If one can get good at not letting others know what they are doing that is a good start. Learn how to hide in plain sight.

My system already in place. No more needs to be said.

·
Try Me
1,083 Posts
hmm, somewhere in the wyoming maybe, possibly. I'd combat the cold season with a large greenhouse, and maybe aquaponics. House would be built into the side of a mountain to protect from most elements. Though I do realize that anything is possible when God/nature is concerned and I wouldn't consider myself completely safe. Enough land to be able to move livetsock from low to high country. Saying this, I mean that my place would be situated in an area where a lower valley may not have as harsh of a winter so livestock could still forage for their food. Deffinately would want a good sized stream/river that ran through the biggest part of my land. This would allow for irregation (for orchards & crops) and provide water for the livestock. A well, and high teck filtering system for human use. Towns, IMO would be at least 20 miles away if not more. No motor vehicles near our home. The only way to reach it would be on horseback (or bike, walking, mule, etc.). Reason, I don't want all the noise. and most likely, city folk would probably still try to drive up there, so I'd hear/see them coming.
Not to worried about TV or anything like that, I figure if TS really HTF, T.V would be pretty much useless. I would have radios though, like hamm and scanners and such.
For the most part I'd just stick to the basics.

·
Registered
121 Posts
We are happy with what we have. In fact everything is perfect in our eyes. No neighbors long difficult access that can easily be cut 15 to 20 miles from home. We are over 4 1/2 hours to nearest big town on 160 acres surrounded by crown land with 90 pasture. Lots of out buildings and basements for preps. We have 3 large [20' by 30'] greenhouses. Right now we are snowed in and there are a dozen moose next to the river about 200' from the house. We do not hunt this time of year as the meat gets a little gamey from them eating mostly willow but they are always available. Being retired getting firewood is good for me. Helps keep things working. Wood for the stove and cook stove in main house also for 2 greenhouses. We only keep 1 greenhouse going all winter but one other needs help for spring and fall. Of course I am way out of your prime area [lower 48] but thats good for us.

·
In Remembrance
28,242 Posts
I think a section or two in western OK, but not the panhandle, would be lovely. A few wells with windmills. Good fencing. A nice underground house. Greenhouse. Nice orchard. Huge barn. Plenty of run in shelters for livestock scattered around the paddocks. Some overflow tanks by the windmills and lots of fish......

·
Registered
724 Posts
...about 350 acres in Northern Ontario would serve well...

Plenty of fish, good hunting all the time, loads of firewood, clean water, a decent growing season....

An hour or so outside of the big city would be just fine! :D

·
Premium Member
4,951 Posts
I'm pretty good where I am right now, but 8 miles out in front of my house is a 3.5 x .75 wide island in Lake Ontario that would be great. A wind power outfit is supposedly going to be putting big windmills in out there in the next few years, but I don't mind them. :) Last time it sold I think it went for over 7 million. Used to be a farming community 100 years ago. I could have fun in a place like that. :)

Jennifer

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
...about 350 acres in Northern Ontario would serve well...

Plenty of fish, good hunting all the time, loads of firewood, clean water, a decent growing season....

An hour or so outside of the big city would be just fine! :D
The big city of Cochrane?

When I was in university in Quebec, the Hells Angels had a clubhouse about a mile away. Couple years before when the cops raided them on some pesky murder charges they had to borrow a D8 to knock down the front door. So after they left the bikers upgraded. 2' thick reinforced concrete bunker with (so they say) a 4" thick hydraulically operated sliding steel tombstone door. Only problem is they have to leave somebody inside when they go on road trips.

The helicopter pad they have is nice too.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts