Drawing blood

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Caprice Acres, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

I recieved my order from pbs animal health today, blood tubes and those special 'butterfly' needles. I've got a couple questions :

1. How do you use these 'butterfly' needles and vacuum tubes? If I were to stick the needle into the tube, wouldn't the tube immediately loose it's vacuum (and therefore it's purpose)? Do I stick the needle in the goat first, then stick the other end through the rubberstopper? I'm confused.

2. How do you all draw blood? I've seen a couple good picture instructions on how to do so, but don't know where to find it again. Anyone know of some good links?

2. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

I would think the butterflies would be too small. You might try an 18G needle and syringe for each blood draw and then insert the needle into the vacutainer. This would pull the blood into the testtube. You need several cc's.

3. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

Shave the left side of the neck where the juglar vein is if you are new to this. Use a little water and wet the area around and on the juglar vein. This will help you to see where to stick the need better. If you are right handed, take your left hand hold the neck and use the thumb to hold off the juglar vein. This makes it plump up. When it plumps up and you can bounce the vein with your right index finger then take a 3cc syringe with a 20x1 gauge needle and stick it in the vein at an upward angle being mindful not to go all the way through the vein, only into it. Pull back on your plunger and get 2-3 ccs of blood. Pull out the needle, move your left thumb up over the area of the vein where the needle stuck it and hold it there for about 20 - 30 seconds to make sure it seals off and doesn't drip blood down her neck. Take the syringe full of blood immediately and stick the needle down into the red stopper on your blood tube. The vacuum will suck the blood out of the syringe down into the tube. Write the date and name of the goat on your blood tube and then you are set to mail it off.

Edited to make that a 20 gauge needle ... oops

4. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

I do a couple things a little differently. First off, I use an 18 or 20 gauge needle. The smaller 22 g needles can destroy the red blood cells and mess up the test. Assistant restrains goat by straddling it and holding head straight upward. It helps to have a jumpy goat backed into a corner before straddling. I don't shave the neck, as I can easily feel the plumped up jugular. I release my thumb BEFORE drawing the needle out of the vein. Learned that in my phlebotomy class. Otherwise, the pressure makes the blood squirt out. I don't use a butterfly - too small and fiddly, and it's pretty simple just to draw with a regular syringe, then transfer the blood to the tube. When transferring, just let the vacuum draw the blood. Don't push the plunger until maybe right at the very end, because pushing the plunger can increase the pressure enough to also destroy cells.

5. Caprice Acres

hmm... Maybe we're not talking about the same needle! I thought that was what they were called... They are the blood collection needles offered by pbs animal health. They are double ended, one side is 20 gax 1", the other side is 20 ga x 1/2"

Ok, well the testing facility needs only 1 cc, but I'll send them at least 2 cc per goat. It doesn't sound hard and I'm not afraid to do it, just want to make sure I do it right! Where on the neck do I shave, where is the jugular located?

6. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

Yes, you stick the needle into the goat first, then push the bloodtube onto the needle and it will suck the blood out.

Good luck!

7. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

Put your left hand on your throat. Right about where your thumb is, is your juglar vein. Just to the left of your adams apple. Feel for your pulse there. It is the same on a goat.

8. Caprice Acres

Ok, well, won't it also cause the needle to squirt with every hearbeat?

9. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

The carotid artery carries the blood away from the heart and is forceful and squirts blood. The jugular vein returns blood to the heart and has less pressure.