Homesteading Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
7,784 Posts
1. No amount of land or money is worth your mental and physical well being. 2. You can pick friends, but you can't pick family. If you pick good friends, you don't need family.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,645 Posts
We have a Pistol Range pointed right at our house.

Have couple cousins, one accidently shot his brother with .22. So there they were shooting at each other across a pond.

big rockpile

·
Premium Member
28,233 Posts
That's why I don't have a smart phone. I have difficulty figuring out how to get my dumb phone to work. I miss those instruction manuals.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I rattled the cage today. Dad wanted me to update his will. You would think I'm trying to get everything!!! He said I needed to get it done... I talked to one family member and it's non stop calling and texting... Heck he is fine , just greed... I have until Monday to put pen to paper...

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
I rattled the cage today. Dad wanted me to update his will. You would think I'm trying to get everything!!! He said I needed to get it done... I talked to one family member and it's non stop calling and texting... Heck he is fine , just greed... I have until Monday to put pen to paper...
I'd take Dad to a lawyer and let him take care of updating his will while you stay far away from it. Otherwise you are forever going to be the villain in that particular drama.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I'd take Dad to a lawyer and let him take care of updating his will while you stay far away from it. Otherwise you are forever going to be the villain in that particular drama.
Dad can walk one block to the lawyers office. He is fine. Just like buzzards circling. If they only knew how it's going to be... I've been in the drama for years.. We built this!!!

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Dad can walk one block to the lawyers office. He is fine. Just like buzzards circling. If they only knew how it's going to be... I've been in the drama for years.. We built this!!!
It's just that pesky moral conceince I have!!!

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
I would advise you to tell him just that when he tells you he needs you to update his will. Stay out of that hornet's nest.

·
Registered
17,888 Posts
I once built a lawyers house years ago. The property was beautiful 100 plus acre site. While I was there they clear cut 2/3 of it and then they started selling gravel from it. I asked him what was up and was surprised he was honest.

He was the caretaker in his father's will. His father was in a home with severe dementia. 3 brothers would each get one third of the property. He sold the timber and the gravel from his brothers part to build that house for his "fees".

I should have upped my price for such a cad.

·
Marked safe from the TP famine of 2020.
20,340 Posts
Speaking from my own situation, he will still be seen as the villain just for taking him.

·
Registered
12,340 Posts
I have seen nothing in my lifetime utterly and permanently destroy families as much as money/inheritance and the expectation of same.
Not drugs, not alcohol, affairs, crime, or anything else.
If parents knew what their lifetime of hard work and saving would do to their children, maybe more would spend it and live a better sunset.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
I have seen nothing in my lifetime utterly and permanently destroy families as much as money/inheritance and the expectation of same.
Not drugs, not alcohol, affairs, crime, or anything else.
If parents knew what their lifetime of hard work and saving would do to their children, maybe more would spend it and live a better sunset.
Sad but true. It would be nice if people realized that money & things are just stuff. They aren't love, they aren't respect, they're just stuff.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Speaking from my own situation, he will still be seen as the villain just for taking him.
I've always been the villain. Dance with the one who bought you. Dad and I have been doing this since 1984. I have heard that I have lived a charmed life!!! I have very few regrets. I enjoy every moment I get to spend with him...

·
Premium Member
28,233 Posts
A couple of Mom's siblings will not talk to her since she asked a couple questions regarding the distribution of Grandma's estate. One of those siblings stole a lot of stuff like advertisement fountain pens, WW2 ration books, stamps and coins when Grandma was temporarily hospitalized with a minor condition months before she passed away.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Update. Mom signed a new will two plus years ago. I was trying to buy a little over an acre at my driveway. Sister and bil didn't want to make it work.Mom is very well and upset. After I called sis and told her it would cost them hundreds of thousands later they were good with it!!! Mom's going to change something's after the closing... It's all in the paperwork...

21 - 40 of 46 Posts