Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this over on CF but got no responses, so I'm hoping for better luck here.

I have a friend that's now a widow. Her husband always took care of everything, and now that he's gone she's really struggling to keep her place up by herself, not always knowing what to do. She was asking me this morning what was wrong with her sewer system. Whenever she flushes or runs water down one area, she can hear it gurgling in other area drains throughout her house. Her house is older, but this septic tank is only about five years old. She's never had this tank cleaned out, but she lives alone, so I wouldn't think it would need it just yet. Does anyone have any ideas concerning what her sewer problems might be? I'd really like to be able to give her some suggestions. I feel so sorry for her.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I posted this over on CF but got no responses, so I'm hoping for better luck here.

I have a friend that's now a widow. Her husband always took care of everything, and now that he's gone she's really struggling to keep her place up by herself, not always knowing what to do. She was asking me this morning what was wrong with her sewer system. Whenever she flushes or runs water down one area, she can hear it gurgling in other area drains throughout her house. Her house is older, but this septic tank is only about five years old. She's never had this tank cleaned out, but she lives alone, so I wouldn't think it would need it just yet. Does anyone have any ideas concerning what her sewer problems might be? I'd really like to be able to give her some suggestions. I feel so sorry for her.
It's probably the vent stack that is iced over, or has had something fall in and block it. Gurgling usually means that the drain cannot freely draw air from the vent, so it is sucking in the air from other drains in the system.

Usually you have to inspect the stack from the roof, and either knock the blockage out, or pour hot water down if it is frozen.

It doesn't sound like she should be climbing around on the roof, so she will probably have to get someone to come look at it.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Country Lady,

My guess would be that the drain water is not flowing freely into the septic tank. There could be some blockage in the sewer line leading out to the septic tank, or it could be that the drain field is flooded and isn't allowing the overflow from the septic tank to drain and dissipate.

If she had the tank pumped, and it fixed the problem immediately (for a few days), she'd know that the problem was in the drain field. If the problem persisted even after having the tank pumped, she'd know that she had a blockage in the sewer line.

Around here, it costs about $100.00 to have a tank pumped, so if she could find a good samaritan to come over and snake out some lines before she had the tank pumped, she might be able to save some money.

Good luck. I wish I lived closer, I'd give it a look.

Tom in TN

·
Registered
21,707 Posts
Country Lady,

My guess would be that the drain water is not flowing freely into the septic tank. There could be some blockage in the sewer line leading out to the septic tank, or it could be that the drain field is flooded and isn't allowing the overflow from the septic tank to drain and dissipate.

If she had the tank pumped, and it fixed the problem immediately (for a few days), she'd know that the problem was in the drain field. If the problem persisted even after having the tank pumped, she'd know that she had a blockage in the sewer line.

Around here, it costs about $100.00 to have a tank pumped, so if she could find a good samaritan to come over and snake out some lines before she had the tank pumped, she might be able to save some money.

Good luck. I wish I lived closer, I'd give it a look.

Tom in TN
BINGO!!! When our drains gurgle, it is time to pump the tank and it usually happens when the drain foeld is flooded due to lots of rain.

·
Premium Member
3,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We have had lots of rain around here, so possibly that's the problem. I'll call her tomorrow morning and give her your comments. She is not online to be able to read this. I appreciate your thoughts.

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
I'm in a singlewide and my kitchen sink gurgles. It is not vented to the outside, but rather the area of the sink where there is commonly a spray hose. When the sink would run slow and I plunged it, water would stray out of that mounting. I thus taped it up so all pressure is forced down the line.

I sometimes have fun with it. When I have company and drain the sink, I can estimate within a couple of seconds when the gurgling will start. I say to it "Sink, who killed Ron and Nicole?" It replies, "OJ Simpson OJ Simpson...". Well, I guess you would have to be here.

·
Premium Member
3,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I have company and drain the sink, I can estimate within a couple of seconds when the gurgling will start. I say to it "Sink, who killed Ron and Nicole?" It replies, "OJ Simpson OJ Simpson...". Well, I guess you would have to be here.
That's funny!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Is there a blockage brewing somewhere? Our drains gurgled and after waiting one day the sink would not drain. Tried everything from drain cleaner to snaking it ourselves. Called in the pros and they snake it--a greasy ball of gunk was the culprit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts