Drainage Holes?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Ofsailsnbales, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Ofsailsnbales

Ofsailsnbales Member

Greetings all,
    It seems to me that a lot of straw seems to be wasted soaking up urine. Cleaning out feces is easy, but if I wasn't putting straw down so frequently, it would be a mess! When I clean right down to the floor, the floor is always wet as well, and I keep them off the floor the better part of a day while it drys. I'm wondering, if I made small holes in the floor to let the urine out, would it have any downsides? They'd only be small holes, but big enough to clean out with a nail in case they were plugged up at any point in time. Any opinions would be appriciated.

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Unless you have a tile drain to drain the waste water etc away you'll have the underfill slowly washing away and a smell you'll never get rid of! Holes that let water out also let water in too!

3. Ofsailsnbales

Ofsailsnbales Member

Thank you for replying.
    I figure there is about a foot between the floor boards and the ground below the building, it is open on three sides underneath. I would think that the rain would cause more washing away than the urine. There are only four sheep living in the building so it wouldn't be a lot of urine.

4. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I was thinking it was concrete. With mreo info it sounds like you may have a short term solution that might not need fixing in much of a hurry of you simply drilled some holes!!!

5. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

Try spreading powdered lime on the floor after you clean. It helps dry out the urine and does wonders for the smell. It helps make your dirt floors hard also.

6. Ofsailsnbales

Ofsailsnbales Member

Thank you for the help!