drain line frozen

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sue currin, Dec 15, 2005.

1. sue currin

sue currin Well-Known Member

Can I use anything other then hot water to thaw out my kitchen sink drain pipe? The hot water is not working, I may not have been at it long enough yet.

2. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

How far down is the frozen spot??? You will need a snake to figure that out.

If it is inside of your house anywhere and frozen, your bigger problem is that you may get a frozen water pipe and it may burst.

If it IS in the house and frozen, heater tape available at your local hardware will work. Although you better definitely be working on getting those pipes warmed up.

3. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

You can rent a steam jenny (for steaming off wall paper)and snake down hole but definately follow thru with a heat tape and hay bales over the ground where it exits the house. The steam jenny can cause weak spots in plastic pipe so be careful.

Its only gonna get colder here in Maine so just thawing it wont be enough....

4. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

First you have to find where the drain pipe is frozen. Chances are, the frozen section is in a horizontal run adjacent to an outside wall. Hopefully, the frozen section is exposed and not behind a sheetrock wall. Depending on where the frozen section is, one can use a hair dryer or a soldering torch (be carefull!) to melt the frozen water. (Don't use a soldering torch if you have plastic plumbing.)

Running hot water into the drain can exaserbate the problem. The frozen plug may not be thawed by the hot water and you'll eventually end up with that much more frozen water behind the plug.

I've heard of people pouring saltwater down the drain, but have had no experience with that myself.

Why is the hot water not working? Is the hot water heater on the frits? Or is the hot water pipe also frozen?

5. sue currin

sue currin Well-Known Member

I was pouring hot water into the drain to thaw it. My hot water workes just fine in the house. I will not put any more hot water into the drain Thanks I am going under the house to find try the Hairdryer now. The pipe feels warm inside of the house.

6. cfabe

cfabe Well-Known Member

IF you don't have any luck with that I'd try using a saturated salt water solution, it might take overnight but it ought to thaw out the ice.

7. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Doesn't drano create heat in the drain as well???? MAybe a clog has added to the freezing issue?

8. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

It only freezes here every few years or so. When I lived in a mobile home, one year it snowed and froze the water pipes. I used my hair (blow) drier and it worked fine. The pipes were pvc but did not melt.