DR TRimmer

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by anniew, May 31, 2004.

1. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

I'm considering buying a DR Trimmer. If anyone owns one, can you
    give me some comments on what you like or don't like about it, please.
    Thanks.
    Ann

2. pinemead

pinemead Well-Known Member

Love mine, but I've had some problems. Also, there's no place local to have it worked on. I'd buy another one though. I bought the $800 professional model.

3. Save your money. My Aunt owns one,I have used it a few times and it's junk..not worth the money at all in my opinion.

4. Ozarks_1

Ozarks_1 Well-Known Member

I'll agree with the "JUNK" comment ... we've got one that's been nothing but trouble since new. We especially hate the fact that it runs you at its speed ... My aunt has short legs and can't keep up with it, while I've got a bad knee and ankle. It's been used exactly once in the last four years ... by a neighbor and he returned it with a "junk" comment (even though we did warn him).

5. anniew

Pinemead,
    Thanks for your reply. Can you be more specific about the problems
    you had. Regarding someone to work on it, my local small enginne
    guy who lives just across the street, is an authorized service
    person. And is the professional model the one with the electric
    start?
    Thanks again.
    Ann

6. anniew

Can you be more specific about the problems with the DR Trimmer.
    Why do you think it is junk...didn't start easily, didn't cut properly,
    etc. Thanks. Ann

7. Yvonne

Yvonne Well-Known Member

We love ours. Older model, used on heavy brush, no problems.

I'm to short, 5', to use a weed wacker for long so this this was ideal for me.

Yvonne

8. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

I bought one last year, electric start, and love that thing. It does all the ads say it does and so far I have had no problems. Easy to push with the adjustable handle and big wheels. Well worth my hard earned dollars.

9. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

Are you talking about the mower or the trimmer? I have the walk behind string trimmer and it works great - but it's not the heavy model that will cut down brush.

The trimmer is more powerful than the typcial walk behind string trimmer - I have the medium sized one. If you are not careful it will bend the bottom of welded wire fences. I like the bulb planting attachment and it had a beaver blade attachment but I didn't get that yet. I mostly have tall weeds to mow down and it works great with that!

Changing the strings is a bit tough at first, but gets easier once you figure it out and I like the edging feature too where you can tilt the head at an angle.

10. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

We have one, don't ask me which one--one of the nicer ones with the string trimmer but not top of the line. I haven't used it, but my husband does a lot of damage to the weeds and tall grass. We did have a problem with the delivery. The first package looked like they dragged it all the way here and there was a lot of damage. The second package looked like it was dragged half way here but the only damage was something with the back wheels and the company sent out a new part. I don't know if the extra price we paid for the "name" brand was worth it, but it seems to be doing the job.

11. anniew

Thanks for your comments, everyone. I can purchase one in the nearest
    city, and can get it serviced across the street, so many of your
    concerns are covered. Thanks again.
    Ann

12. Jackpine Savage

Jackpine Savage Well-Known Member

I like mine. I have the one down from the professional model. The string trimmers aren't self propelled, that comment must be about the mower.

The swivel/tilt feature is nice for trimming fence lines and buildings. I think that DR is still the only one to offer that feature.

Read carefully on how to put the line on. If you do it incorrectly the line will wear through itself and not last very long. Yep, learned that the hard way :)

I use the largest diameter line.