Down Goat

Discussion in 'Goats' started by jeff299, Mar 12, 2005.

1. jeff299

jeff299 Member

I have a 7 year old nanny who has been sick for about a week. It started out with loose stool then got worse. I gave her a Terramycin tablet for 3 days. A couple of days later she went down so I put her in a stall. After feeding and watering her, she has not gotten up. I wormed her with Safe Gaurd. She seems to drink alot of water and eats normally. Her stool has gotten firm but clumps. I checked her again this morning and she is responsive. But still will not get up. I have wormed her now 2 days in a row. Her gums are very white. I am afraid I may lose her. If anyone has any suggestions please post.

Thanks, Jeff

2. rhjacobi

rhjacobi Well-Known Member

Jeff,

The white gums and loose stool really seems like a parasite overload. Her stool getting clumpy suggests that you have lowered the load with the worming. I would consider another worming with a different wormer in about 10 days to three weeks - perhaps sooner if it seems like the parasite load is coming back or still there. The different wormer is for just in case there is some resistance to Safeguard. I usually treat clumpy stools the same as a loose stool.

I once took in a very sickly and wormie group of nannies, that were also pregnant. They all went off feed before I could get them turned around and they all did survive. In fact I still have a few of them. I wormed them quite a few times in a very short period of time without a negative effect, even being pregnant. I was using Safeguard and Ivermectin injectable at the time, which seem to be fairly safe wormers.

In the meantime, you might give her an injection of B fortified for some strength. An iron injection might be a good idea for the anemia caused by the parasites. Electrolytes would also be a good idea. You could add some to her drinking water, but you would have to be very sure that this doesn't make her drink less because she didn't like it. It might be better to do it as a drench.

Also, be on the look out for secondary infections - particularly respiratory like pnemonia. When a goat gets weak, they become more susceptible to this and it is what usally makes them too sick to survive.

If she is still eating and drinking fine, she should make it. It is when they go off feed that it gets tougher.

I hope that this helps a little.

Bob
    Lynchburg, TN.

3. jeff299

jeff299 Member

Bob,

Thank You for the information. I will indeed try those things you mentioned. This the first time that I have had any problems with goats. They were given to me by my fater-in-law last Fall so I sure would hate to lose one. Anyway just wanted to thank you.

Jeff

4. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

been there! Worming her was good but now you must get iron in her. At this point it is probably time to talk to your vet but in the mean time if you know what to give her for an iron shot then do that but get some red cell vitamin and iron tonic and give it to her twice a day till her gums get pink again. If she is down and can't get up you may loose her. CALL THE VET! We all help each other but some times the vet is the best way to go.
    What kind of goat is she? Mine was a Toggenberg and I gave her 15cc red cell twice a day. She has nice pink gums now but it took all summer to get her back to being normal. She is due to kid soon again and I am watching her closely now.
    They load up with worms right after kidding.

5. xbeeman412

xbeeman412 Well-Known Member

You need to give her some nutri-drench and keep this up until she is either up on her own or dies. Nutri-drench has a lot of GOOD things for the anemic goats. I would give her 30 to 50 CCs every couple of hours and a probotic to get her eating on her own.Tractor supply sells nutri-drench and they are open on sundays here in Tx and oklahoma as well. If You dont have nutri-drench avalible use honey and molasses along with any liquid vitamines thet You may have on hand.

I use the cattle nutra-drench as it is cheaper than the Goat one and have had good success with it.

Keep Us informed as to her progress.

God Bless.

6. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I would go ahead and give her, 2 cc of iron, then i would have the vet come monday, she just might have coccii going on , and regular wormers, will not get it. you can get DI- methox, from a goats supply of line, or just get some from your vet, and give her a shot. probably will need a good shot or two. I would also give nutir -drench for goats, about 50cc, 2x daily, and about 5 cc of bcomplex 1time daily for 5 to ten days. give her free feed good 3d cutting or better, of alfalfha hay.
    don't give horse hay, not rich enough for a doe.
    I am leaning towards the cocci, since she is down, you can get her through this, but it will be hard.
    good luck, and keep us updated.

7. Teacupliz

Teacupliz Well-Known Member

If she is down long you may loss her. Give her 3cc of FOrtified b-comlex SQ right away. Does she have a fever? has she kidded lately? I would also treat for cocci with sulmet. and you can treat for bacterial infection with biosol.Liz in NY

8. jeff299

jeff299 Member

Sorry for the wait on replying. She is still down but has improved slightly. Her eyes were set deep in her head, but since the worming yesterday(Friday) they seem to look better. She is still eating and drinking okay. She does try to get up but still can't. I have started given her some iron shots. I am not sure what Nutra Drench is but I'll get some tommorrow. She isn't running fever. She hasn't kidded in over a year. She isn't pregnant. Her stool is normal pellets now.

Should I try to help her stand?
    Should I feed her any green vegetables?

Ya'll don't know how much I appreciate all the responses. I don't feel like I'm am going this alone. I'll post tommorrow and let ya'll know how things are going.

Thanks again,
    Jeff

9. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

I would keep her on just hay for right now until you're sure her gut has settled down. The last thing she needs right now is scours from having her feed changed.

Keep her on the iron shots. I'd probably add some vit. B complex shots as well. If she's low on B vitamins her rumen won't work as well as it should.

If you can't find nutri drench, gatorade will give her the electolytes she might be low on. My goats like the lemon-lime flavor the best.

Pick up some pro-bios while you're at the feed store. That will help get the good bacteria back into her gut and get things working right again.

I probably would try and help her up and see if she could move around a bit. If nothing else than to prevent bed sores and keep her circulation going.

It's horrible when they're sick, isn't it?

10. Croenan

Croenan Well-Known Member

I have been there too!

Have you wormed with ivomec? That might help, safeguard has a lot of resistancy. If she's eating, then keep her on the hay or whatever was recommended. If she's not eating, I would give her whatever you can get into her. Is the diarrhea under control? You can use pepto for that. One of the problems you might have since she is "down" is her walking. I had a very small buck lay down and had a terrible time getting up again. I had to teach him to walk again, but I am glad to say he made a complete recovery. (when he was sick, he weighed 23 pounds! - he is a small pygmy type of goat...but not fat like a pygmy)

Read up on coccidosis so you know if that is what your treating.

I hope that helped...don't give up on her yet! Goats are amazingly resilient if giving good attention.

11. kathy H

kathy H kathyh

My daughters seven year old show goat mocha went down, we tried la200 didnt help so we took her to vet she thought it was a stomach impaction and had us do probies four times a day and maylox oraly [ for humans] 12cc four times a day and gave her b vitamens. it took about three days but she is fine now,k new she was better when we came out with maylox[ she got either maylox or probies every two hours]and she headed for the hills. Vet also said to feed her what ever she would eat so every two hours we would try corn chips, bread, swiss chard what ever jumped out at us on way to barn. Hope your goat feels better soon.

12. jeff299

jeff299 Member

Just a quick update. My nanny seems to be getting stronger. I have been in and out of the barn all day today. I went to our local Coop and picked up some meds today. I have been giving her gatoraid also. They didn't have any b vitiams so I'll get some Monday at the Vets Office. She tried to stand up a couple of times today but couldn't. She still eats very good and is drinking plenty of water. I am making sure she has plenty of feed and hay. I just want to take a minute and thank everyone for there input. I found this web site out of luck. What a surprise to find such down to earth folks. Thanks again,

Jeff

13. Croenan

Croenan Well-Known Member

Keep a close eye on her laying down. You might even try to move her around into different positions. Goats legs will atrophy quickly. I've also included some info given to me when I was going through this, these guys are the best for giving out info! Get her up and on something to increase the blood circulation in her legs as much as possible. I put my goat over my son's bean bag, which was in 2 trash bags. He was too little for a bale of hay.

"Yes his leg muscles can atrophy in only a few days. The tendons will
    PERMANENTLY contract and he won't be able to get up. Lift him up, stand him
    over a hay bale and extend and massage his legs several times a day. Laying
    down for extended periods also can lead to pneumonia, they don't take deep
    breaths when laying down and fluid collects in the lower lung tissues."

"Cud chewing is a regular thing, burp up chew for a
    minute swallow, repeat. Grinding you can often hear, cud chewing is very
    quiet. Grinding is a sign of pain. A goat that won't or can't get up is
    NOT getting better, he is getting worse. Likely his legs had completely
    gone to sleep (for 2 whole days!!) and with lack of circulation, the
    movement and sudden restoration of circulation is pretty darn painful. That
    is why he needs to have therapy on his legs SEVERAL times a day. Because of
    the way they lay they completely cut off sensation and circulation.....You might also try something for pain. You can give aspirin, ir si 1
    regular asprin per 10 to 15 pounds, or give double the human motrin dose (if
    you have children's liquid motrin give 1 cc per 10 pounds), you can give
    pain meds every 4 to 6 hours as needed. (NOTE-only give the pain meds if really nec. and only one or 2 doses....motrin and asprin can cause stomach ulcers in goats)

If she gets picky about food, you can also try a little yogurt or some watery, lightly sweetened oatmeal....my guy liked that.

If you want to email me directly about my experience, please do. corrieann@seraphworks.com

14. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

The white gums do indicate a parasite overload. If you know someone who has cattle, maybe they have some Cydectin pour on cattle wormer. You give this ORALLY (by mouth) to your goat. Do not pour it on your goat. The dosage is 1cc per 25 pounds of body weight. You can also give 1% injectable Ivermectin given ORALLY at 2 cc per 100 pounds of body weight. The safegard wormer is not a very good wormer. Goats have built a resistance against it. What dosage of safegard did you give? You cannot give labeled dosage to goats...way too low of a dosage to do any good on goats. I would either give Cydectin or Ivermectin asap. Continue your Probios dosage each day to help the rumen. Pick you up a bottle of red cell from the feed store. It builds iron in the blood. Give her about 5 ccs orally each day for 7-10 days. The advice on not changing feeds or giving veggies is good advice. A good hay, fresh clean water. Get her up if you can, even if you have to rig up a sling out of a sheet to hoist her up in. The longer she is down the worst chance you have of getting her up. The nutradrench will give her an energy boost, getting into the blood stream quickly. If you can't find it, you can get some propolyne glycol from the vet (get a dosage from the vet) Be caredful with the B vitamins. You can overdose her with those. It will stimulate her appetite. But only give one dose a week. Also, check with your vet about how often you should be giving iron injections because you can overdose on iron also. You don't want these good things to become toxic. Give your vet a call and discuss these things. If you get her over this. Alternate those wormers, Cydectin and Ivermectin at least every 6 months. If you can take a fecal sample (a sample of her fresh poop) in a baggie to the vet and have it checked that would be a good way to see if she has a load of worms, what kind, or if any cocci is seen. Fecals usually run between $9 and $15.00.

15. jeff299

jeff299 Member

Just wanted to let everyone how much I appreciated all the information. I have done everything the vet told me to do, and alot of the things you guys have suggested. Well this afternoon when I came home from work she had died, I really hate that we lost her but she was just to weak to hang on. I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Jeff

16. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

I am so sorry to hear that!

Take good care of yourself.