Down for the Count

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Steve in Ohio, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Steve in Ohio

Steve in Ohio Well-Known Member

Started out last week feeling like I was getting some kid of flu bug,so just keep going on as normal work the regular job come home do the feeding and other chores.Until Saturday..........can't catch my breath,feel like my lungs are filled with marbles............so a trip to the urgent care center Sunday morning....well seems I got myself a real good case of Pneumonia.So I ask the doctor how can that be???I hardly ever get down like this.........the doctor answers well you are not 30 years old anymore for one thing,and if you are gonna be dumb you better be tough..................
    I guess I learned a lesson about pushing myself to the limit...........I ain't
    30 years old anymore.................................

2. apirlawz

apirlawz playing in the dirt

Yikes, Steve! Sorry to hear about your ailing lungs!

My dad did the same thing this fall...he's a contractor, and he and my mom built their home this year. He got a little carried away as winter started coming (they live in ND!), and he did the same thing...got pneumonia, totally KO'd himself. But the house sure is nice!!

Well, at least you have an excuse to get some well-needed rest! ;)

Take care!

April

3. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

Get well soon Steve.

Mike

4. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

You are down but not out - get well - thanks for the warning.

Alex

5. margo

margo Well-Known Member

Take it easy and don't go to working too quickly. Allow yourself plenty of time to recover. Pneumonia is verrrry dangerous, especially to us old timers........( 50 and older ) the work will still be there when you look for it again......Margo

6. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

I agree with Margo.....And last winter I was shoveling snow and realized I am not 20 anymore......I am almost 42 and that sux!! LOL Got sick and took FOREVER to get well so lay back and just rest. get well soon tho.

7. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Ouch! I could fill your pain when you described it.(felt like 300 pounds of weight on my chest when i had it) Had reg pneumonia when i was around 8, walking pneumonia when i was around 16 and i think i had it again a couple of years ago.What in the word really causes it any way? (Anybody?)
    I no fluid on your lung can turn into pneumonia but is that always what causes it? And what is the difference between reg and walking.I felt like i was going to die with it when i was 16.

Take care and feel better soon. ;)

8. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Yikes! I did that to myself 2 years ago. It took forever to get over it because I didn't just stay on the couch - there were chores to do and animals to keep up with and apples to pick..... So I was walking sick for literally 4 months.

Don't do that! Take the time you need and get over this. Drink lots of liquids, take all of your vitamins, and watch plenty of good videos (the Muppet movies are my favorites). Take care of yourself.

9. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Sure hope you get better real fast Steve! Nothing irritates me more than getting really sick before I have accomplished all that I wanted to LOL

10. Steve in Ohio

Steve in Ohio Well-Known Member

I would like to thank you all for your replies and concerns.I was feeling pretty low........not only from being sick but depressed because I have been stuck inside.Even though we may not know each other well it really helps having a sort of extended family out there to help with difficult times.
    My 13 year old son is really been a great help during this time,doing my chores as well as his own.And my FIL is taking care of the sheep feeding and watering.I have a person coming tonight to pickup a sow pig I sold,so my neighbor calls last night and tells me he would load the pig with the help of my son and not to worry about it...................I guess it's like the Beetles once said "I'll get by with a little help from my friends".Thanks again.................
    And hey Insanity check this link from The American Lung AssociationPneumonia

11. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Being 30 wasn't all it was supposed to be either. You can still do the same things...just allow yourself more time and more breaks doing it. Shut one eye and lower your standards...it'll all come out in the wash! Great training for the 13 year old anyway and now FIL feels needed. See, you're doing a good thing!