Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Grrrrr..... finally *trying* to get back to the things I liked to do when I was single.....just attempted my old bread recipe but she's not rising!

Any old tricks to salvage this dough????

·
Pook's Hollow
4,568 Posts
Did you proof the yeast before you made the dough? Could be old yeast. In which case, try leaving it overnight in a cool place, see if it revives. If not, roll it out flat and make pita bread. :shrug:

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's my old tried-n-true Challah bread recipe (egg bread) but I changed it up a teeeeeny bit...:eek:

I use a store-bought box of bread mix (comes with a yeast packet). I warm this mixture over a bowl of very hot water:

3 egg yolks, 3 TBS butter, 3 tsp sugar, and enough milk to fill it to one fluid cup.

Only this time, I thought I'd be *smart* and use sweetened condensed milk and water in place of the sugar and milk.

So, I place the very warm mixture into the bread machine, dump in the dry mix, then add the yeast in a divot in the top of the dry mix. Turn the machine on to the "dough" setting and......VOILA! It usually works!

·
Registered
655 Posts
If your mix was too hot when you added the yeast, you may have killed your yeast. That's what pops into my head after reading your post....

Shawna

·
If I need a Shelter
21,617 Posts
Well you killed your Yeast,can't be too Hot and needs Sugar for Food.

big rockpile

G

·
3 egg yolks, 3 TBS butter, 3 tsp sugar, and enough milk to fill it to one fluid cup.

Only this time, I thought I'd be *smart* and use sweetened condensed milk and water in place of the sugar and milk.
It could be that the mixture was too hot and killed the yeast, but I suspect it might have been the condensed milk or a combination of both. There's a lot of sugar in sweetened condensed milk and yeast can only handle just so much in the dough. More than about a tablespoon of sugar, honey, or molasses to the cup of flour can be enough to make the yeast very sluggish. Really large amounts might even kill it. You say this was a bread machine recipe? Then there were only about three cups or so of flour? Next time try using only about half the amount of condensed milk and see how that does.

Bread machine yeast is the instant type so should not have to be proofed, but if yours is a new jar/bag or you've had it for a long time it might not hurt to proof a spoonful just to be sure.

.....Alan.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I just snuck a peek at it and it is rising S-L-O-W-E-L-Y so there must be some live ones in there somewhere!!

Yup, my guess is too much sugar now that you mention it...I know it wasn't too hot; I test it on my wrist like a baby bottle; slightly cooler than that, really.

Darn. I really wanted Challah French Toast in the morning!

Should I keep checking it every hour? guess it'll be like foal-watch.......

·
Premium Member
42,674 Posts
Well, I just snuck a peek at it and it is rising S-L-O-W-E-L-Y so there must be some live ones in there somewhere!!

Yup, my guess is too much sugar now that you mention it...I know it wasn't too hot; I test it on my wrist like a baby bottle; slightly cooler than that, really.

Darn. I really wanted Challah French Toast in the morning!

Should I keep checking it every hour? guess it'll be like foal-watch.......
I use about a half cup of sugar to 3 cups flour in my recipe for cinnamon rolls so I doubt you over sugared it. my guess is too hot and killed the bulk of the yeast. If its rising now, even slowly the yeastys will keep on reproducing and it will eventually do its thing. May take a couple hours though. :)

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
i've been using yeast that expired last year to make bread and i noticed it takes it a while to get going. the yeast may be weak. if it is rising now, it should be fine. i also have to fight my chilly kitchen and place my starter closer to the wood stove. once it starts to rise, it seems to be ok.

good luck!

G

·
Either the yeast was bad..or too much sugar ( as everyone else has said) but also it could be that the mixing bowl was cold..in Winter, I run HOT water in the bowl first before adding yeast and water ( or milk)..I started doing this a few years back when I noticed that in Winter, my yeast was failing to work properly..I use a stainless steel mixing bowl..

As far as rescuing the loaf..if it were me, I'd just mix up another small batch of dough, adding a tad more yeast, then work it into the first batch..or, make crackers in the morning:)

·
Premium Member
42,674 Posts
i've been using yeast that expired last year to make bread and i noticed it takes it a while to get going. the yeast may be weak. if it is rising now, it should be fine. i also have to fight my chilly kitchen and place my starter closer to the wood stove. once it starts to rise, it seems to be ok.

good luck!
My kitchen is a bit chilly this time of year too, I set my dough to rise on the fireplace mantle and it rises so much quicker now. :)

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My trick was always to turn the oven on to 200, wait 5 miutes, then turn it off. Put the loaf on an oiled pan with a cloth over it into the oven but keep the door cracked. But that was always for the SECOND rising, not this initial one?????

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh, gee.....I think I've figured it out! Someone explain to me the difference between "quick-rise" yeast and "regular"......'cause I think that's where I messed up.

The Hot Roll mix I was buying in Texas included a "quick-rise" packet of yeast.....this one I bought at Food Lion here in Maryland included a packet of regular yeast, and instructions on how to make the stuff BY HAND :grit:

Soooooo....that there might be the reason she's not quick-rising! :doh:

·
CF, Classroom & Books Mod
9,934 Posts
Commercial Sweetened condensed milk has more than just sugar and milk in it. If the yeast is good, I'd suspect that using the sweetened condensed milk has something to do with it. I'd wrap your bowl well with plastic wrap and leave it overnight -- I suspect the yeast will just take a while to get going, and by morning it will be well risen.

You can always have challah french toast for brunch ;)

·
Premium Member
42,674 Posts
Oh, gee.....I think I've figured it out! Someone explain to me the difference between "quick-rise" yeast and "regular"......'cause I think that's where I messed up.

The Hot Roll mix I was buying in Texas included a "quick-rise" packet of yeast.....this one I bought at Food Lion here in Maryland included a packet of regular yeast, and instructions on how to make the stuff BY HAND :grit:

Soooooo....that there might be the reason she's not quick-rising! :doh:
Quick rise has baking powder mixed in to kick it up quickly while the yeast is getting itself activated. Regular yeast is just plain ol yeast that takes about 30 to 45 minites to work. I think you found yer problem. :)

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It rose!! :bouncy: It's all braided up and on it's way to a second rise.....Challah French Toast for brunch.....mmmmmmm:goodjob:

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
It rose!! :bouncy: It's all braided up and on it's way to a second rise.....Challah French Toast for brunch.....mmmmmmm:goodjob:
Well DH and I can probably make it to your house by lunch!!!! Yummmmmmm

Alice

1 - 20 of 20 Posts