Double-wide Tires on Semis

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Ken Scharabok, Dec 26, 2005.

1. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Saw my first ones yesterday. Rather unusual look. Sounded a bit different also - bit more of a whirrrrrr. Read about them a bit back. Cost is about $1,200 per tire and rim, but they do replace two separate tires. If recapped at the right time, each one is suspose to run something like 800K miles. Problem is a flat on one on a loaded cab or trailer puts them to the side of the road waiting for service to show up. Unloaded, they can probably make it to a repair shop, but likely have to wait for a replacement to be shipped in. Payoff is suspose to be in weight savings - more cargo weight. From what I read, mostly used by local delivery services who can keep ready spares and on-the-road service at hand.

Anyone have more information on these. Just curious.

2. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Super singles is what they call them. They weigh less and have less rolling resistance than a pair of tires. They offer you an increased payload because of the weight savings and are supposed to increase fuel mileage because of less rolling resistance and wind between the tires. We have tried them on our converter dollies which hook the 2 trailers together, i pull double trailers. I don't like them because our setups have single axles which means if you get a flat you can't move even with empty trailers. Also you might sit 8-10 hrs. waiting for a tire as they aren't available everywhere. They also seem to make things move around a lot giving you a strange seat of the pants feel. They can also be a problem in snow as they are very wide and won't go thru snow easily.

3. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

The Idea has been used before in over the road tires . My dad had A truck in the 70's that had them ,He got rid of the singles because NO one had A spare when needed. I think for local work they would be O K but O T R you would need to carry A spare, And hope your tire man had A cage large enough to fit it. Or that thay would even want to mount it.. They are reported to save on fuel and carry more weight than Duals. But I want to have the duals myself. Alot of companies are ordering the new trucks As super singles. I just wonder what the Air pressure needs to be in one???

4. I'm just wondering if the used ones would make good containers for gardening/crafts and such?

5. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

Why that expensive, I can go to the Modular home dealer and get some Double wide tires? Somthing special about them?

6. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

The Super singles Are rated at A higher gross weight than A set of Duals are So taking the 80,000# legal weight limit.The Super singles are able to hold about 25% more than the duals if the facts are right that I read. They hold up well according to the Mfg. To road temps.In excess of 100 plus degrees and are regroovable as well as cappable. I don't care for them myself. The cost is higher due to the fact theres fewer dealers handling them, And for useing old ones for other purposes I think old Ag tires would be cheaper.

7. Grovers2

Grovers2 Well-Known Member

Drove OTR for several years and the company wanted me to try them, seems I was their token guinea pig. I did not like them at all for several reasons, the least of which is if you have a blow out you could be down for some time. I agree with that unusual seat of the pants feeling, way too bouncy for my liking. It took 1 cross country run and I went back to my old tires, what a relief.

Jodi