Double/triple coupons

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by JennDBass, Nov 24, 2004.

1. JennDBass

JennDBass Wannab crunchy mama

A question was raised in the "Freezer is it worth it?" thread and I wanted to tell you how to get your groceries for nearly free... it takes a mind for numbers and some time but it is worth it!

Each week Read your circulars from your local stores! When something is on sale you whip out your coupon for it. Then you go online and get another coupon that gives you cash back... like "Smartsource"

For Example:

Ralphs Prego brand Tomato sauce 2 for the price of one @ $3
    Minus coupon $.50 Each
    Double coupon$.50 each
    plus cash back$.50 each

That means you paid Nothing for somehting you should have paid $3 for.
    It takes a lot of research....
    Also... buy as much as the coupon allows. Some of them let you buy as many as you want for that price.

Good luck

2. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

You know, I think this is terrific... but I don't buy convenience foods, coupons or no coupons. Free, don't get me wrong, is probably a good thing... but I'd have to read the lable. Most national brand stuff has too much salt for my high blood pressure... or too much sugar for the diabetic husband.

And they don't offer coupons for apples, celery, or broccolli >:-(

3. clovis

clovis Well-Known Member

My wife and I double triple coupon shop. We are saving tons of cash!!!!! It is definately worth the time if you have the coupons.

Our best single time shopping trip was to Kroger's, bill came to $221, after coupons, we paid $12, and the bill included milk and a loaf of bread.

Our experience is that you can save BIG on grocery bills, but you cannot simply survive on free double triple food stuffs. But, I will say, that my wife and I ate totally for free for five whole days, last week, on double triple free items. Yes, FIVE days, breakfast, lunch and dinner.

You will save even bigger on health and beauty aids, like shampoo, toothpaste and deoderant. You can also save big on cleaning items. We currently have 31 tubes of toothpaste and 19 bottles of shampoo, all gotton for free, and this is after we sent gobs of the stuff to some needy families.

Again, if you have the coupons, and are willing to work a little at it, you will save tremendously.
    clove

4. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I've been using coupons for over 20 years and will probably never stop. There are coupons out there for healthy foods...like the $1 coupon I used last week for Organic Valley milk which was on sale as well (at Kroger).

I sure wished I'd put back all the money I've saved over the years with coupons. I could probably buy myself a new car...or a vacation cabin somewhere!

5. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

It sounds great, but where do these magic coupons you are supposed to have appear from? I neither take the newspaper or magazines that they normally appear in. The weekly throw away is not delivered to my home at my request and I don't think they have coupons in it anyway.

I guess that you have to have coupons before you can coupon shop, right?

6. JennDBass

JennDBass Wannab crunchy mama

Yeah... that would probably help...We don't get the paper but my Grandma saves some for me and my aunt saves a different paper for me.

7. Ravenlost

Most of my coupons are from the Sunday paper. It's the only paper we get and my husband stops on his way home from work early Sunday morning to get me one. It more than pays for itself in entertainment (comics, free weekly TV guide, Parade magazine, etc.), news and coupons. I save all my newspapers to use as mulch in the Spring.

Unless you find a free subscription to a magazine it probably won't pay for itself in coupons as they just don't have many.

I email companies, let them know if I like their product and often they send me coupons...very often these are for a free product. I have also participated in "coupon trains" in which an envelope rotates between several people. You remove the coupons you want and replace them with coupons you don't want. And I have several online friends that I exchange coupons with on a monthly basis.

Also, I'm always on the lookout for coupons in the grocery store. I keep a small pair of scissors in my purse in case there is a coupon on a product I'm buying that I want to use on that product. And many grocery stores have coupons in the aisles, although I have never found these to be very good.

Last, but not least, I frequent "freebie" websites where coupons and deals are listed. A lot of these are for printable coupons which, unfortunately, many grocery stores no longer accept. However, there are often posts for websites that are offering coupons to be mailed to you. For example, go to www.organicvalley.coop and sign up. You'll get a great activity booklet for your kids plus booklets for you. There should be two $1 coupons on these booklets.

There are coupons everywhere. You just have to look for them.

8. clovis

clovis Well-Known Member

Most of our come from the Sunday paper. Several people give us their coupons, which help a bunch.

9. BobBoyce

BobBoyce Well-Known Member

The papers here don't have coupons, even on sundays. They are just smalltown gossip rags anyways. The stores have sales flyers, but rarely do they ever have any coupons at all. I've tried the online printables, but they won't take them either. And none of the stores around here double or triple coupons. But they do have halfway decent sales on canned or dry goods from time to time.

Bob

10. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

Ok, let me see if I understand:

2 for the price of one @ $3

They're normally $3 each but you're only paying $3 for two.

Then you subtract $.50 for the coupon and you're down to $2.50
    Then you subtract another $.50 for the double coupon and you're down to $2.00.
    Then you subtract another $.50 for the cash back and you're down to $1.50.

right?

So you're paying $1.50 to buy two cans of tomato sauce that normally would have cost $3.00 each or $6.00 for the two???

Where do you use double coupons? Nowhere around here will do that...Publix, FoodWorld, WinnDixie, Western or Walmart. I've not asked at the Pig. Will they let you?

We're currently saving a ton of money buying stuff when it's on sale and buying as much of it as the store will let us buy. We have cases and cases of canned vegetables when Food World had them on sale 4/$1.00.

11. BobBoyce

BobBoyce Well-Known Member

Using one coupon for each can or jar, so getting twice the coupon discount.

They have buy one get one free sales here a lot, but they don't allow any coupons or other discount offers with those.

Bob

12. Ravenlost

Daybird...there's a Piggly Wiggly on Hwy. 78 coming into Birmingham that doubles coupons up to 90 cents. It's a small Piggly Wiggly on the left side of the highway going south.

13. MountainMama

MountainMama Well-Known Member

I use double coupons and get many things for free. It takes planning but it is worth it if you are on a limited budget. My non-frugal friends save me their sale papers and coupons when they are finished with their papers.

I match up the sale ads and double coupons and last week I got over $74 worth of things free. It does take a lot of time to match things up but while my leg is broken it has been fun.

The cashier's HATE to see me coming. They give you the total and then you hand them the big stack and they are amazed (not to mention the person behind me in line.) :haha:

I've learned to go really early in the morning when the store is slow.

Here is a link to most sale ads if you don't get the Sunday paper:

http://www.sundaysaver.com/

MountainMama

14. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

Thank you. That's in Forestdale isn't it? I pass it everyday. It's right next to a Family Dollar. I've never lived near a Pig before so I've never shopped there. I didn't know they doubled coupons. I'll check it out. Thank you very much.

15. Ravenlost

Yup, I asked my mom yesterday and she said it was in Forestdale. She shops there every two weeks when Daddy goes to Princeton for his chemo treatment.

Oh, and you're very welcome! :)

16. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

I also pass the Pig in Homewood everyday I go to work. I was at Publix today to get a moneyorder to pay for the old backissues of Countryside (thank you JoAnn) and there at the customer help desk is a tiny, little sign that says they'll double coupons up to $.50. Guess what they had on sale two for the price of one. Guess what I had a $.50 coupon for in the car....Prego Tomato Sauce!!! I'm so happy.

Thanks everyone.