double sink with drainboards refinishing?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Marjorie Dickso, May 30, 2006.

1. Marjorie Dickso

Marjorie Dickso Well-Known Member

Hi, I now have my mothers 40 plus years old sink that I have lusted after for years. No, Mom is still with us. But of course it needs refinishing. I see you can paint it with something BUT I want a hard durable surface. Since there is such a wealth of information on this site, I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. This sink was on a metal cabinet but the bottom has rusted out so I'll need to buy a cabinet for it. Thanks for you help..I'm in eastern Kansas

2. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

You can buy an epoxy sink refinishing kit, but I can tell you from personal experience, "durable" is not a word I would use to describe the results.

You have to be gentle with the finish.

3. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

we had our claw foot tub "re-porcelanized"....maybe you can have the same thing done with the sink.

4. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

I have two, that I am saving for our farm house. I am going to have them re-procelanized.... as Cabin called it... Does yours have the double drainboards? Mine have double drainboards and double sinks... I can't wait.. dh thinks I am crazy because we pulled one out of a pile clay and the other out of the woods... :) He thought I was going to take them to the dump! :shrug:

5. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

they will come to your house sand it give an acid bath and spray will look like brand new

6. Marjorie Dickso

You aren't crazy...tell your hubby I said so. Milk can be strained on the drainboards or canning can be done. Anything that might make a mess will go down the drain. Not on the front of the cabinets nor stain your counter top.

Now the problem is...Where oh where do I find a reporcelain-er? Under what heading in the yellow pages or online. I've spent the day looking online. Thanks for all your replys!!

7. Marjorie Dickso

I possibly found someone to refinish. Will let you know if I need further help.

To answer another question someone posted..yes this has double sinks with a drain board on either side. 66" long.

8. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

I have one of those and I love it. I need to have mine re-done too. I wonder what it costs to have it repaired.

9. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

Mine are 66" also.. Could you let us know what they charge you to have it redone????Thanks

10. Marjorie Dickso

ok, I talked to a company this morning. He said they used a synthetic porcelain. Before I do this, Cabin Fever, is synthetic what was used on your bathtub? The man said I have to be a little more careful with this than the original finish. It will cost $290. Mtn man..is this the same thing you were speaking of?
    I don't want to invest $$ for something that won't hold up to my use. Thanks again.