Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
In Memoriam
14,801 Posts
Where did you guys get those? Several years ago I was trying to find something like that which was supposedly only found in the Ozarks. They were still sold as sets and only divide once. I remember them from many years ago up here and were a great cooking onion. They were the common yellow set onion and a great keeper. They apparently fell out of favor for the basic same thing but single bulb. Stuttgarter has now replaced them in most areas.

Martin

·
In Memoriam
14,801 Posts
They are a kind of potato onion and best suited as the storage type for the Mid-South. The thing that dropped them from favor is that splitting habit. If left to mature to full size, there's normally a dry skin between the two halves. We didn't care as they were a great cooking onion. Last I heard, the main supplier of them was somewhere in East Texas. It's one of those things which are seemingly common but can totally disappear in one year if the only grower suddenly stops.

Patnewmex mentioned that that's how shallots grow? Yep! That's why we have onions that can be grown from seed!

Martin

·
Becky
489 Posts
Harvested mine to early and they rotting. Should have wawited ac ouple more weeks till the tops dried a bit more.

Will be doing a chop and freeze session tomorrow.

Next year will know not to listen to the weather man when he hollers we're about to have a major thunderstorm with lots of hail and high winds.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.