Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
use revolution on there dogs or cats? i use frontline but took a new kitty to the vets and in there pet care program there was one revolution. So I used it. My kitten was full of fleas. I will never use that stuff again. Now I have to bomb my whole house. Cost me over 50 dollars to get bomber and some spray stuff. Grrr.

·
proud to be pro-choice
2,691 Posts
My vet did not recommend Revolution for dogs as it treats a lot of maladies that non-stray dogs usually don't get but some they do. I used Revolution on my cats in the past but switched to Frontline because the Revolution 'stang' when I put it on my female cat. She still doesn't like the feel of Frontline but does not freak out and run when I apply it. I am looking for a pill version for next year - I don't use the topical so much for fleas as I do for ticks.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Personally I don't think the combination products work as well as products that have only one main task (ie revolution that does fleas, heartworms, intestinal parasites, and ear mites vs. frontline which is just fleas and ticks).

Selena, there are two oral flea products available. One is lufenuron (Program) and it only sterilizes the fleas. It has no killing ability on adults. The other is nitenpyram (Capstar). It does kill the adults, but only works for 24 hours. Neither has any activity against ticks (which aren't much of a problem in cats anyway).

·
proud to be pro-choice
2,691 Posts
Well ticks are my problem, dog and my cat(s) both. The cats are the reason I started topical treatment. Earlier this spring, prior to his untimely death, I removed 8 ticks from the male cat - at least he was ginger colored. His sister is a tortie which means combing and 'picking' to see if she has them or not. Fleas have not been much of an issue since we no longer rent on a farm. At that time we had like no ticks but fleas were bad. We dipped the dog and both cats plus bombed the house.
Oh well, maybe I can find an oral flea/tick for the dog otherwise we start treating her outside. Last time we did the frontline, she managed to shake a few spots of it onto the wall!! Spouse is going to have to help hold her fur OR do you think I could use a bit of vaseline to 'slick' back the fur at the nape of her neck?

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Hmmm. I don't know of anything oral that does ticks (I misread your first post-I thought you were worried about fleas and not ticks). A Preventic collar might work on the dog (it only does ticks and is more effective than "flea collars"). For the cats, I know of nothing besides Frontline that will give you adequate results on ticks. I don't know about the vaseline, I would guess it might wick up some of the Frontline (making it ineffective) since Frontline is "attracted" to oil (for want of a better term).

·
proud to be pro-choice
2,691 Posts
GoldenMom said:
Hmmm. I don't know of anything oral that does ticks (I misread your first post-I thought you were worried about fleas and not ticks). A Preventic collar might work on the dog (it only does ticks and is more effective than "flea collars"). For the cats, I know of nothing besides Frontline that will give you adequate results on ticks. I don't know about the vaseline, I would guess it might wick up some of the Frontline (making it ineffective) since Frontline is "attracted" to oil (for want of a better term).
I need to figure out some way to 'part' her fur long enough to get the frontline on her skin. The cat is easier as her fur is longer and I have something to hold. Hmmm. I have some 'comb' type barrettes (from the late 70s!!) - those just might work. Or a bobby pin to hold it back. I'll have to experiment. The cat will just have deal with frontline I guess. I know it doesn't sting like revolution did. They make doggie hairspray? Maybe I could slick the dog fur back with that. Or doggie mousse?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts