Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI wondering if anyone knowsor has a link for dosing a goat using quest gel and also strongid paste horse wormer
thanks

·
Registered
69 Posts
Do not use Quest in goats! I dont remember the ivermectin dosage...sorry...:eek:

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
Horse paste Ivermectin you use 3 times the amount on goats...so a 100 lb goat you would set the plunger at 300lbs. You don't have to worry too much about overdosing...better to give too much than not enough and I have heard or instances where the whole tube was given by accident with no ill effects.. :)
I don't know anything about the Quest..sorry.

G

·
I've used the Quest (moxidectin) horse gel on my goats several times, never had a problem. The horse dose and goat dose are the same(per pound), and the dispenser is calibrated in 50lb increments, so I found it pretty handy.

Why did you hear that Quest shouldn't be used on goats? Some people were using the nasty smelling pour on orally, that really sounded like a bad idea...

Edit:

Quest gel is calibrated at .4mg/kg, which is the same recommended dosage for goats. Apparently injectable is the preferred method for giving goats moxidectin, though...

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Quest is fine for goats, IMO. The same active ingriedient as Cydectin, but made for ORAL use!

I use 3x the horse dose on my goats; so for 100 lb goats, I use 300# worth of Quest.

One tube of Quest split 3 ways for my 3 adult goats every 12 weeks (they are not breeding, other wise I would worm more often)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok..i just wormed with ivermectrin..after taping them and giving 3 times the weight on the tube
and now i se a snotty nose onthe one I "considered" the healthy one..geeze goats...why did I do this? what to do now..vet gave me a antibiotic shot i gave a few days ago( sat) for pneumonia..knowing i had stressed them when i brought them home and they werent eating well. heck..i drove them home inside a minivan..not like they got chilled.. now what> ? anyone?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Quest I would never use on my horses when I had them. Its a wormer that you cannot overdose. Ivermectin and fenbendazole is so much safer to use and can be overdosed. An accidental overdose of Quest can be fatal.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Quest I would never use on my horses when I had them. Its a wormer that you cannot (shouldn't) overdose. Ivermectin and fenbendazole is so much safer to use and can (should) be overdosed. An accidental overdose of Quest can be fatal.
my type added to your quote in bold. semantically/grammatically your post was confusing and I want to clarify for people that cydectin (quest) can more easily be over dosed. meaning it is possible to give them too much. ivermectin and fenbendazole have very high margins of safety and are difficult to overdose.

my research turned up that quest should be given at the same as the horse dose to acheive the typical 1 cc per 22lb dose that is standard (and much more used) for the pour on (used orally). I would check out the mg per ml on quest and dose it to the standard mg for weight before I used it at 3 x the dose as jill suggests. later tonight I will check.

edited to add: not bein snipey. I was afraid it came off like I give rats a%^ about grammar, I don't care about that. I was just afraid somebody would read it and think "I'll give 'em the whole tube I read you can't overdose it".

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
quest is 20 mg per ml
cydectin pour on is 5mg per ml

so quest is 4x as strong as the pour on.

the dose for pour on is 1ml for each 22lbs.

so the dose for quest should be 1/4 ml for 22lbs for a goat or 1ml (20mg) per 88lbs

the horse dosage is .4mg per kg.(2.2lbs) so that is 16mg per 88lbs

so the goat dose of quest is 20% more than the horse dose. a 100lb goat would be dosed at 120lbs.

that is what thought I came up with before. its pretty close to the same as teh horse dose. that is also why I stopped using it. because its too hard to dose the 60lbers accuratly.

jill- by my figureing 3x is way too much. but I'm glad to know that at that rate there have been no ill effects. most wormers have a relatively high margin of safety and I am sure moxidectin is no exception.

I tried to find it but Ican't. I have previously found references to the margin of safety of fenbendazole, ivermectin and moxidectin. I remember specifically that they couldn't find any ill effects at hundreds of times the standard dosage of fenbendazole. it seems like ivermectin had to be 50 times the dosage to see any ill effects and moxidectin was somwheres around 12. I'm not sure of the exact numbers but I am positive that moxidectin had the smalles margin of safety by quite a bit and it was possible to overdose. and that ivermectin and fenbendazole were virtually impossible to overdose in normal situations.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
quest is 20 mg per ml

so the dose for quest should be 1/4 ml for 22lbs for a goat or 1ml (20mg) per 88lbs

so the goat dose of quest is 20% more than the horse dose. a 100lb goat would be dosed at 120lbs.

that is what thought I came up with before. its pretty close to the same as teh horse dose. that is also why I stopped using it. because its too hard to dose the 60lbers accuratly.

jill- by my figureing 3x is way too much. but I'm glad to know that at that rate there have been no ill effects. most wormers have a relatively high margin of safety and I am sure moxidectin is no exception.

I tried to find it but Ican't. I have previously found references to the margin of safety of fenbendazole, ivermectin and moxidectin. I remember specifically that they couldn't find any ill effects at hundreds of times the standard dosage of fenbendazole. it seems like ivermectin had to be 50 times the dosage to see any ill effects and moxidectin was somwheres around 12. I'm not sure of the exact numbers but I am positive that moxidectin had the smalles margin of safety by quite a bit and it was possible to overdose. and that ivermectin and fenbendazole were virtually impossible to overdose in normal situations.
Oh, well, nuts! :shrug: I will re-examine all of the Quest info I just got (thank you, all!) and come up with a more precise doseage for my goaties! But YES, I HAVE been giving them the "300#"-marker (for the first goat, the 600# for the second goat, and the 900# for the third goat) on the tube every 12 weeks for over 2 years and they're all happy, fattie, loud, obnoxious little pests (er, pets)! :D

·
Registered
805 Posts
Where are you getting that Quest is harmful to goats? I know a goat vet who uses Quest exclusively on her herd, and has for years, and has NO problems whatsoever. If you want to talk to her, I can give you the info on a PM.

Plus, you cannot overdose Moxidectin- the problem lies in the fact that it works so well that if you use it on a vey worm laiden or starved animal, it will kill the parasites so quickly that toxins are released into the goats' sytem and they will die from the dead worm toxin overload. Some folks actually have to administer anti-biotics when worming such animals.

Cydectin pour on dosage for goats is 1ml per 10lbs., not 22lbs. Why ? Because it is metabolized way different in goats than in cattle. This is the info that the TN Extension is giving out to goat folks. Cydectin injectable is dosed at 1ml per 50lbs, like you would Ivomec, as per Polly at Tri-Quest Boers. This is what I use, injected. Never had a problem.

While safe, Fenbedazole (Safegard) is like pouring water on their backs in some areas, esp. TN. That is why Strongid because it is safe at all stages of pregnancy and other 'white' wormers (Valbazen, Synanthic, etc.) are not.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I think folks are confusing Levamasol(Triamisol) wormer with Moxidectin.

Levamasole is supremely weight specific- if you over dose by 20 lbs. you 've got a dead animal.

It is not possible to overdose Moxidectin. The biggest problem with these Ivermectin products is underdosing and creating a resistant strain of worms.

·
Registered
576 Posts
quest is 20 mg per ml

THat would be 1.6mg per 88lbs not 16mg per 88lbs.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ah well thankyou you guys. You are helping this newbie a bunch.
I am off today to bring a stool spec in to my vet. Goats poo looks slightly better then the mucous she had been passing...is like a mucous strand with actual little teeney tiny soft turd smeared on it. Pretty graphic HUH LOL
I am at a loss as to what else I can do. Took both gpoats temps this am///not an ez feat alone and with no means of restraint.
No snot this am..wondering if i just saw some of the coccidia meds coming out her nose..This stuff is surely new..and when its about live critters it makes me a bit nervous to be so ignorant.
anyhow thanks all. It has been cold here..have them locked in barn..wondering if they'd be better off outside. They shake/shiver when i let them out side tho.

·
le person
6,241 Posts
I think folks are confusing Levamasol(Triamisol) wormer with Moxidectin.

Levamasole is supremely weight specific- if you over dose by 20 lbs. you 've got a dead animal.

It is not possible to overdose Moxidectin. The biggest problem with these Ivermectin products is underdosing and creating a resistant strain of worms.
Well, of course you can overdose moxidectin, you mean it's not easy to overdose.

·
Premium Member
2,981 Posts
Quest has been fatal in horses if overdosed, believe that's where the poster is getting their info. It has a very low margin of saftey in equine. Not recommended at all for minis or foals, cause if the dial thingy slipped or the person gave them a whole tube on purpose it can cause death in equine.

We give goats so much higher doses of everything and apparently with Jill's dosing, they are just fine from it! LOL I use Quest on my goats once a year and ivermectin the rest of the time.

·
Enabler!
3,865 Posts
To throw in more confusion :confused: I was told by my vet to use horse wormer at three times the dose. That info was incorrect.
I use Ivermectin horse paste. Well that says it is 1.87 % iver, so using three times is too much.
If it was a 1% paste that would be fine but it is almost twice that at 1.87. So the correct amount ( thanks to people here) is actually 2 times the dose. So a 200 pound goat would get it dialed to 400 pounds and not 600 pounds. I crank that and then squeeze it into a needless syrgine to make sure I have to correct dose also by cc's and give it that way.
Getting their poop tested is probably the best way to go. This way you will know what you are worming for and treat accordingly.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
THat would be 1.6mg per 88lbs not 16mg per 88lbs.

88lbs is 40 kg. http://www.manuelsweb.com/kg_lbs.htm

horses get .4mg per kg. so a 40kg horse :) dose would be 16mg

.4 x 40 = 16

am I doing something wrong? I'm no math whiz.

goat dose is .5mg/kg so that is 20 (.5 x 40 = 20)

I stil come out the same.....?????

1 - 20 of 34 Posts