Dosage for ND kid?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by pookshollow, Jun 28, 2006.

1. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

One of my Nigerian Dwarf doelings has an infected umbilicus. She will be 2 weeks old on Friday. I've washed it with Betadine, rinsed it with hydrogen peroxide and drenched it with iodine. I'd like to put her on penicillin, but not sure about the dosage in such a young, tiny goat! She probably weighs only 3 or 4 pounds, max. Her twin is fine - same size, same level of activity. I have Penicillin Procaine G - brand name Propen LA (which I know isn't what you call it in the US)

She is lively, nursing well and seems quite bright, so not a life-threatening situation at this point, but if anyone has any suggestions, I would be grateful! :angel:

2. stacygoats

stacygoats Well-Known Member

Penicillan may damage tooth developement in this young of a goat. I seem to recall reading that, but can't track down the source right now.
    Hopefully someone else will be able to give you some advice.

3. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

When Daisy had her kids pulled last year, She and her two young kids all got pennicillin shots for 5 days. The kids got 1/2cc and Daisy got 5cc. I would say 1/2cc would be fine to give.
    Good luck!!

4. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

OK, thanks! I gave her about 1/3 cc this morning. Her navel looked 100% better though, nice and dry.