dosage for Deccox-M for goats?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by EatChevre, Jul 21, 2006.

1. EatChevre

EatChevre I Brake for Dairy Goats

Does anyone have a suggested dosage for Deccox-M (Decoquinate) medicated powder for whole milk for goats? It's labeling is for calves. :help:

Thanks!
    Jeanne

2. NYSaanen

NYSaanen Well-Known Member

You would want to use the same dosage. One teaspoon per 120 ponds of body weight. We feed milk twice a day, but use the dosage of Deccox-M in the AM feeding. (We don't split the dosage among feedings.)

3. coso

coso Well-Known Member Supporter

Check out http://www.dairygoatsplus.com/forum/ and search for Decoxx-M. There is a lot of discussion on that board about this drug. We put 1/2 tsp per kid until they got three weeks old then we put 1 tsp per kid once a day. Goats metabolisms are so much faster then cows you usually have to up dosages to get the same results.

4. EatChevre

Thanks for your replies!

Now another question. I just put them on decoxx-M, and I was about to wean them from the bottle (They will be three months in about a week). Should I just keep them on the bottle for another month so I can continue to give them the Decoxx-M?

To what age should goats be given coccidiostats? :baby04: My head is spinning from all of the products to give goats for worms!!!

This is what I've gathered:
    From a week old, offer medicated pellets and use Decoxx-M in bottles until weaned. But how long do you need to continue giving medicated pellets? I have 6 and 7 month-old goats who are not on any cocci meds. Is that okay? I worm them (which seems like a completely different issue) every two months.

The more I learn, the more confused I get! But, I am new at all of this; I suppose that one day I will realize that I kind of know what I am doing. Won't I? Please say I will...

Jeanne

5. NYSaanen

NYSaanen Well-Known Member

Deccox-M should be given for 28 days. This is the life cycle of the cocci. I would keep them on the bottle for the full 28 days, possibly cutting them back to 1 milk feeding a day, using the Deccox-M in that feeding.

Usually coccidiostat is given from a few days after birth until the 28 days passes. This will give them the opportunity to build up resistance to the cocci on their own. The cocci are all around, and their systems must build up a resistance to it. Once they build up their immunity, they are usually good to go, unless they experience a great deal of stress (shipping, illness, etc.) which weakens their defenses and allows the cocci to thrive.

If the six month olds are showing no signs of coccidia, they should be OK. They likely have built up the resistance on their own, and can fight it themselves.

6. EatChevre

Thanks NYSaanen for your thorough response! You helped me understand the situation a bit better. Appreciate it!