Doors on cages

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by HoosierDeb, May 28, 2005.

1. HoosierDeb

HoosierDeb Well-Known Member

I'm getting ready to go out and build some rabbit cages for the new breeding stock I'm getting. I am leaning toward side hinged swing out doors. I have one cage like that now and 2 cages with top hinged swing in doors. I prefer the side hinged one at this point but wondered if there were advantages to the others that I may wish I had later when I'm caring for 20+ rabbits instead of 3. Any advice/comments before I commit myself one way or the other? How far up from the floor should the door be. The cages are for French Lops and Mini Lops

2. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

I don't like the top hinged ones because they get in my way. I have some side hinged cages and I like them because they stay out of the way. My rabbits have never escaped with those doors. They get nosey and check out that open area but they stay in.

3. HoosierDeb

That's been my experience too.. both with the doors being in the way and the rabbits not coming out.. but I can see that a bored bunny might take advantage if the opportunity arose to go exploring.. I guess it's harder for them to do with the ones that swing in?

4. Thatch

Thatch Well-Known Member

Best doors I've used where hinged at the bottom and swung down. I even went so far as to put a support on the door (hinged at the top of the door) that would become a leg for the door, creating a "table" out of the door when it was opened. This let me pull the rabbit out and examine her on a nice flat surface. Even without the support leg they work great, fall completely out of the way, don't close on you while your working and don't keep the other pen doors from operating while open.

J

5. HoosierDeb

Great idea! I may try that.

6. thornapplehill

thornapplehill Member

I use doors that swing up. My cages are quonset style, kinda like a hoop house and the doors lay open, out of the way on the top of the cage. I forgot to close one once and left to go to town. An hour later, I came back to find the bunny on the top of her cage sleeping in the hay manger. :)

Shawn

7. HoosierDeb

Well, I got 2 cages made... or should I say 8.. over the last 2 days.. they are 24"deepx18"highx12' long.. each compartment is 24x36. They'll be housing part of the breeding herd of French Lop and Mini Lop rabbits I'm buying from the people I bought my origonal 2 FL from. I am picking up the rabbits tomorrow. I was to get 20 rabbits, 12 mini lops and 8 FL but last night one of the FL does kindled and has 4 babies!! Two other does are due soon and if the ones I have here are preggers, they're due next week so I'm going from 3 rabbits to who-knows-how-many in the space of a few days!! I went with the doors hinged at the bottom. So far, just from working around them while I was making them, I like them better than the top hinged ones that swing in that I have on 2 cages I bought and the side-hinged outward opeining one that my buck is in. I'm not sure how the doors open in the cages I'm getting with the rabbits but after working with all the different types I'll have, I'll be able to see in a short time which I like best. Wish me luck as I start on this new endeavor.

8. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

My favourite are the side hinged doors, too. :)

9. SmokedCow

SmokedCow Well-Known Member

I like the ones that hindge at the btm. I also like the ones that swing from the side only if they ar pointy where the wire meets and you cut it. I hate getting scrated by it! BEST OF LUCK!
    AJ