door pannel in a '96 Ford Aerostar

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Hears The Water, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Hears The Water

Hears The Water Well-Known Member Supporter

Hey guys, yep it's me again. I seem to always come in here with questions regarding a car. I have a '96 Ford Aerostar. The front passenger side door pannel fell off. This is the inside panel. It started out just kind of sticking and the edge closest to the latch started coming off. We ment to get it fixed but ya know how it is. Next thing we knew the whole pannel fell off in Devon's hands. We managed to get the door closed and locked so nobody would use it. We where worried that the wires to the automatic locks and windows would get pulled out and damaged. I had a friend's husband look at it and he said that it "..just needed a couple of screws..." but he wouldn't tell me where they went or how to do it. The guy is a jerk so that didn't surprise me. In any case. I need to take my mother around on some errands and she cannot climb over the seats like my half-monkey children can. (The back sliding door won't open either now...grrr) and if I can get just one door on that side to work I can take her where I need to. I was kinda hoping that someone on here could tell me how to fix this. Even if it is a temporary fix just so we can open the door, as I have an appointment for Friday to have a mechanic look at it for me, but I need to take mom sooner. I would appreceate any help y'all could give me. Thanks in advance.
    God bless you and yours
    Debbie

2. Highground

Highground Well-Known Member

Get a roll of duct tape and have at it til you get to the repair shop.

3. Hears The Water

Hears The Water Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh, it allready has duct tape on it! LOL! We tried to fix the back door yesterday but could not find anything wrong, visually. So We just left the pannel off and will be taking it into the shop without the seats in it and the pannel off. The guy said that it would take a long time because he would have to take the seats out. We will see. Thanks for the help, we just decided to find another ride for today and will just take it to the mechanic tomorrow.
    God bless you and yours
    Debbie

4. fud2468

fud2468 Active Member

Am afraid I can't help with the front door panel, but there's a ton of information on the sliding door problems on the Ford Truck Enthusiasts site. Go to the Aerostar forum and do a search for "sliding door".
    There are several issues that can contribute to the sliding door getting stuck shut, and usually it's an easy fix. Problem is generally in the linkage going from the handle at the front of the door to the rear of the door where the latch is. I fixed mine without taking any seats out.
    Ray Mac