Door for green metal fence posts

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jkillen, Oct 19, 2004.

1. jkillen

jkillen Well-Known Member

Has anyone seen or made hinges for those green metal posts?

2. bbbuddy

bbbuddy Well-Known Member

If you mean t-posts, wedge-loc makes all sorts of hardware for them. Link here: http://www.wedgeloc.com/

3. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

I just use the small hinges (the Pin part) made for the small diameter chain link fence. They mount around the T-posts and do well and are a lot cheaper than wedge-loc. That said you will need to use wedge-loc to support the sides of the gate post on either side as you will be stretching the wire from or to both of the metal posts.

4. jkillen

jkillen Well-Known Member

Thanks. I'll check out wedgeloc.

5. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

The original question was not mine, but WOW,thanks for the link.

Do these things work as well as I'm hoping they will?

6. bbbuddy

bbbuddy Well-Known Member

Well, they DO work, but are pretty soft metal, so if you try to stretch your fence too tight, you can pull them out of shape to the point of failure...
    we used them for the first time this summer on a small temporary chicken yard, about 15x30 feet, didn't want to do anything permanent in that spot. Used the hardware with 48" field fence, and almost broke one while pulling fence tight. It has held so far, although one corner piece of wedge-loc is way out of shape.
    I am not unhappy with the product, but would not use it on a permanent fence that I want pulled real straight and tight.

Hope this info helps...

7. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Used them Fencing my Backyard in to keep the Dogs in.They worked great.

I cut a piece of Cattle,put Wire over it.Just Wired it up,put a Spring on it for a Gate.

big rockpile

8. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

If you use Wedge-loc properly and brace the corners as they say they make a corner that is at least as strong as wooden posts. I have pulled woven 1047-6-12 1/2 wire as tight as I can physically pull it using a 2 ton come along and have done nothing to my corner. That said the posts must be pretty much square to each other to get the wedge-locs in line.

I use them in places where I cannot get a wood fence post in the ground such as on a rocky hillside where I can not get my tractor to drill a post hole. In these places they have been a godsend.

9. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

I allways use wood gate anf corner post. Wood gates with fence on the inside so critters can't eat thru.

mikell