Don't you LOVE volunteers in the garden?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by omnicat, Oct 6, 2006.

1. omnicat

omnicat Well-Known Member

I didn't plant any of these this year.
    Marigolds:
    [​IMG]

Asters (I've *never* planted these, and haven't seen them before in my yard):
    [​IMG]

Cleome:
    [​IMG]

Cockscomb:
    [​IMG]

Cosmos:
    [​IMG]

2. omnicat

oh - and that's spiderwort, not in flower, (also volunteer) above and to the left of the cockscomb.

3. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Wow nice flowers, Yeah I have a soft spot for volunteers I always move them to where I want them and let them grow

4. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

could be worse, we had an invasion of datura! went on vaction too come back too 7 foot tall poisonous plants!

5. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    Lol Ford! They're pretty but sure are toxic! But at least they're deer-resistant.

Those are lovely volunteer flowers. I've found with volunteers that they seem to grow better than anything I've planted intentionally; I guess they only get a foothold in spots where they're well adapted.

6. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

I have 4 beautiful volunteer tomato plants in my humanure pile. I'm not real sure if I want to eat the tomatoes though. The pile that they're in was closed off in January, so it has been closed off for a year yet.

7. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

I love volunteers in my garden!

I tell the kids to get in there and "volunteer" to dig potato trenches and pull weeds!

8. omnicat

<i>I tell the kids to get in there and "volunteer" to dig potato trenches and pull weeds!</i>

without question - the BEST kind of volunteers...

SEVEN FOOT Datura?? WOW! Mine have never gotten that big.

9. omnicat

oops.. way to go html girl...

(keep forgetting to use [ here intead of < for the html)

10. TxCloverAngel

TxCloverAngel Happiness is Homemade

I have 5 watermelon vines (doing WAY better than the ones I planted in my garden!) growing in my dog pen! lol gotta love em!

and I had a lot of tomatoes in the old pig pen :)

not sure how the watermelon got there! lol

11. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Theres over 100 corn plants in the yard from the birds pens ,After the rain they came up like gang busters.and who knew I would ger Carnary seed plants to grow and produce from the cage birds cages being cleaned.

12. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

LOVE your marigolds and the cosmos, too! Last year I interspersed marigolds in spots throughout my garden. When I put the garden to bed last fall, I took the spent marigold plants (with seedheads) and strewed them all over a bare earth slope on the East side of my barn. They sprouted and bloomed this year, and it sure is a pretty sight. I plan to do the same thing this year, as there's more of the slope I'd like to see sprouting marigolds.

I always put marigolds in my garden as they seem to be pretty good pest control.

NeHi Mama

13. omnicat

THe only pumpkins I seem to be able to grow are volunteers. Usually sprouting from my compost heap - but this year, I had one pop out of a big pot that has a small orange tree in it!

14. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

I have squash plants everywhere....through the field,down over a hill...all I can figure is that my dog's eat the squash and leave seeds everywhere :rolleyes:
    Morning Glories come up all over my gardens,they always have,no matter where I've gardened.

15. omnicat

Morning Glories come up all over my gardens,they always have,no matter where I've gardened.

Well, that goes without saying. I also have one of those. (didn't for a few years - well, those days are over now, huh?) I have to admit, the flowers are a pretty variety. Deep blue with pinkish/red throats.

16. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

Sounds like you have some Jays in the area...they dig in the compost and re-bury treats they find. Problem is, they forget where!!

17. omnicat

Sounds like you have some Jays in the area...they dig in the compost and re-bury treats they find. Problem is, they forget where!!

Ah...I wondered about that...We do have Blue Jays around here.

18. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

Really? That's cool,because I was wondering if that was just something that happens here and if it happens all over. I do like them,I think they're real pretty.

19. omnicat

Moonshine - there are a lot of weed collectively called "bindweed" which are morning glory relatives.

But many people consider morning glories "weeds" too - because they're such proflific self-seeders, and climb all over things. There is a house about 8 miles from mine, where they planted them intentionally all around the proch and patios - and they do provide a lot of shade and a pleasant and beautiful place to sit outside.

I guess "weeds" are in the eye of the beholder. I think morning glories are pretty, too - but I will have to pull them from my garden before they seed - or I'll be fighting an army of them next summer.

Somepeople consider asters "weeds" too. But I love them in the fall!