Don't You Know Where You Are? We Sure Dont!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by fantasymaker, Dec 26, 2006.

1. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

Does it drive any of the rest of you nuts to put a lot of thought an effert into replying to a questiontion Like "What would you plant in the yard " by poster "He man@Tropical beaches" only to learn on the 3rd page of the thread shes a tiny little old lady living on a mountain top in the yukon?
    COME ON GIVE US A BREAK POST YOUR LOCAL IN YOUR PROFILE!
    and maybe your gender too?

2. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Ok got a piece of paper that says I'm Male.

Location at this time is:

37 degrees 49.158 N
    092 degrees 56.463 W

Elevation is 1055 feet.

big rockpile

3. patnewmex

patnewmex Jane of all trades

Why is it so necessary that we need to know where someone lives? Isn't that an invasion of privacy, of a sort????? :shrug: Note by my name you can tell where I live so I don't care to keep it private. Privacy/secrecy issues will alwasy be part and parcel of an online community/identity and this is not the first request of this sort. There have been three such requests in the past few months.

4. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    WHAT BR?! All this time I thought your were the barbie doll located under the end of my kid sisters bed.......

5. stanb999

stanb999 Well-Known Member

Yes, it is quite important. Some like to ask questions about building homes and such. With no location info. :rolleyes:

You can get a good idea from my location info. Just be general. it helps alot.

6. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

If you ask about putting in a basement, we can't give you advice is we don't know you live in south Louisiana, where they can't even bury coffins without them floating up out of the dirt.

If you want to plant orange trees, we can't tell you not to if we don't know you live north of Oklahoma City.

If you ask about the pitch to make your new roof, we need to know if you get snow or not.

If you ask about the cost per acre of land, it matters if you are in the Ozarks (approx $1100 an acre) or in California (about a gazillion an acre.)

It matters where you are if you want good answers. :hobbyhors

7. Sammy

Sammy Well-Known Member

Amen ! :) Just Do It ! :soap:

8. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

Not if you want answers that have to do with location.
    Its a vountary thing .
    and its just plain rude to pull that on us!

9. Steve L.

Steve L. Well-Known Member

If I don't get enough info to give good advise by the 3rd or 4th post in a thread, I just leave it. I figure that if you can't or won't give me enough info so I can formulate a good response, you're just talkin' to hear yourself talk.

And what about the poeple that post a question and never respond to the people that give an answer?

10. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

And what about people that post a state that has multiple climate zones and terrain in it but don't give a specific part of it.

11. Steve L.

Steve L. Well-Known Member

Ya mean like, 'New York'? :nana:

12. hoofinitnorth

hoofinitnorth Well-Known Member

How about Alaska? :rolleyes:

When it's relavent, I try to say "Southcentral Alaska" for my locale... but I do make mistakes/omissions from time to time! :baby04:

13. okiemom

okiemom Well-Known Member

If you dont' want to give out location or even general personal info then don't ask questions that need general location info to get a informed response. :)

14. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

I never have been able to figure out the secrecy anyway.
    If ya play nice with others why would some one want to single you out to do harm on the net anyway? Now with that said i see why some choose not to post any info. :D

But for pete's sake am i missing something here. Its much easier to just type in a name you pulled out of the sky then to try to uncover who some one is on here. With out the mail box number or real name its going to be pretty time consuming. Wouldn't it? Now why would someone want to?
    If you wanted to use any ones identity it be much easier to go play a game on line and trace there ip address (that's there, plain as day to see in some games). Or just pull a name from the sky and typ it in search. I can typ in mine and with in about 30 seconds see my street address/home phone number/and even the long/latitude so i could even look in from a satellite to see if I'm home.

I just dont get it. :shrug: