Don't use rubber mulch, & check your COMPOST

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by southerngurl, Jan 17, 2005.

1. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Do not use rubber mulch from tires. Also, watch it when you buy bagged compost. They are using rubber tire crumbles in it now. They won't call it rubber crumbles, but rather bulking agent, ect.

http://www.paghat.com/rubbermulch.html

2. sylvar

sylvar Well-Known Member

That site contains some pretty biased views I think. I have to admit I would never use this type of product in my vegetable garden, but I have used it in my flower beds. I have a friend whose dad manufactures a product like this. I got to field test some of it. I had some Phlox that had always been a flop. I dug it up, worked a couple of shovelfulls of this stuff into the soil and replanted. The Phlox bloomed like crazy that year. If the product was really killing plants it would be off the market pretty quick cause no one would buy it twice. The shredded tire is added mostly to retain moisture. My friends dad sells most of his product overseas in arid places.

Sylvar

3. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Well, I wasn't even referring to it killing plants, but the heavy metals, and who knows what else toxins. I mean, who expects tires to be in their compost??

4. JennDBass

JennDBass Wannab crunchy mama

I may have used this stuff at my previous home. It was a real cheap packaged compost. All my smaller and more delicate flowers died. I tested the soil and tried useing more compost. Nothing but the large, well established plants survived. I always wondered why.