Dont try this at home!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by farmgal, Apr 28, 2006.

1. farmgal

farmgal Well-Known Member Supporter

Ok my lil' Joey came home from school today and we grabbed some kites and went out to the pasture to fly them. Image, our blind horse, wasnt happy once they started makin noise. But she settled down.

Joey looked over and said "hey eggs". I thought, chicken eggs in the pasture? Nope beautiful tan with brown spotted killdeer eggs. I hear them yellin but didnt think they would have a nest so close to a well traveled spot. Between the barn and the creek where she drinks. The eggs were quite big, almost as big as the bird...ouch :nerd:

Well Image kinda steps on stuff, so I got worried and set a tire around them, she can see a little and would remember the tire there, once she noticed it, maybe the killdeer will have a chance. But no dice, the killdeer would not have it. So I had to remove it. asap befor the eggs got cold. Then I was worried they wont come back, but she did, but not befor she dive bombed me all the way to the house. :help:

So I been watchin now and Image has just missed the nest like 10 times!!! I am sick from it. I cant watch no more. :Bawling:

Image is a good horse but she has her blind horse quirks. We cant have young chickens, she has stepped on them. Older ones know to stay out of her way.

We tried seeding her field with hay yesterday, where bulldozing was done, and she eats it, even tho she has her own hay and 15 acres of grass. She keeps wondering ""why are they throwing perfectly good hay all around...what a waste..lol""

You must make sure she has a perfectly clean pasture as she has it memorized and runs full speed.

I do hope the killdeer survive. :angel:

>>>moral of story-dont put a tire around a nest.

Marie

2. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

If they don't survive I'll bet the parents build their nest somewhere else next year!

3. Kris in MI

Kris in MI Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a kildeer nest on the edge of my garden. Everytime I go out to plant things (just starting here in MI), the kildeer go nuts running around screaming trying to draw me away from the garden. Dh was upset the other day that I was 'taking so long' to plant onion sets and that the bird eggs were getting cold. Oh well, they can pick a different spot because I'm not letting the darn garden sit fallow this year!

4. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

Killdeer are so hilarious! They always make their nest in a highly visible spot, then they go crazy trying to keep everyone and everything away from it.

I've been divebombed by a few killdeer myself. And I crack up when they do their broken wing trick.

5. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

survival of the fittest. the birds smart enough to lay eggs in places that won't be bothered pass those genes along to their offspring. the baby chicks that aren't smart enough to get out of the way of a big lumbering horse, die, while the ones with just that extra hint of sense survive to pass the trait on.

having said that, i bet dollars to donuts that blind horse knows pefectly well they are there, and is avoiding them. works so far, didn't it?? :dance:

my vote is don't put the eggs under a hen. wild things to a LOT better if we just get out of the way and let them do their thing.

6. texican

texican Well-Known Member

Sure the killdeer will let Image know it's not welcome near the nest.

I've got whipporwills that lay in the silliest places too... right next to the road... thursday evening I was out lookin for my dog who'd spent too much time outside...saw glowing eyes in the road, called the dog, wouldn't come...so I went to see what was wrong... got about 50' away and the 'eyes' flew straight up ten feet, a glowin all the time...I momentarily freaked, thinking my dog had jumped that high, then it did some circles and landed again... walked right up to it and saw it was a whipporwill. Funny thing was it's eyed glowed from the spotlight the entire time... (dog was waiting at the door when I got back)

7. zookeeper16

zookeeper16 Karaoke Queen

Is it possible to move Image? We discovered a nest in our north pasture and will keep the horses in the other pastures until the babies are old enough to move around.

8. Lindafisk

Lindafisk Well-Known Member

I'm kind of jealous! We have killdeer and they are so neat, but I have never been lucky enough to see a nest. Oh well, we do have bluebirds in the cypress tree....

9. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

When I was a kid I always had fun looking for Killdeer babies out in the cow pasture. I was able to find them too! Made for a long chore time some nights. I was supposed to be bringing in the cows to milk. LOL

Heather

10. farmgal

farmgal Well-Known Member Supporter

the nest is still alive today!!! Its funny, she has the nest right in the center of an old, semi burried, cow jaw bone.

I cant really move Image. I just put her pasture back up after having it down to remove the barn. repound all the posts. Its tough. I have those temporary post and more pasture but being blind she will just run through it. Not as easy to move her around, as a sighted horse. As for the chickens,they havent gone broody this year. :grump:

bet the mother thinks twice befor she put a nest in that pasture.

We have another nest in arms reach right off our front deck. A dove built it last year and it looks like the same girl this year. hard to tell. Moma dove must have figured she would be safe from other critters like crows, as they wont come near the house. She must really trust us. Man, did the babies grow fast. Seems 10 days and they are almost as big as mom.

Joey came in today crying tears of joy, he said "mom the little baby dove was staring at me".

We collect nests that have fallen and skulls. we have quite a huge collection. has anyone looked closely at what the nest is built from? We see very fine, soft plant fiber, hay, soft roots and always in the middle, our german shepherds hair!!