Don't trespass while hunting in Ohio.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by seedspreader, Dec 28, 2006.

1. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Read the rest here.

This reminded me of several threads on HT.

2. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I like Ohio.

3. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Dang. Whole thread gone...

It was good too. :)

To repeat myself, I think it's a good thing. I appreciate that the laws in WI have changed to similarly keep trespassers off land, leaving the burden of proof on the poacher rather than the landowner.

At the risk of redundancy...

I wouldn't just waltz into a stranger's house and help myself to his fridge. I expect the same consideration on my land.

Pony!

4. tamsam

tamsam Well-Known Member

Great for Ohio. We have the same laws here but they don't enforce them unless there is complaints. The DNR can't be everywhere.Several years ago although it wasn't on our land some people were chasing deer on four wheelers for others to shoot. We called DNR and they were at our house in less than an hpur, listened to them on the little walkie talkies and figured out where they were jumped on his 4 wheeler and the chase was on. I don't think any one got fined but the 4 wheeler hunting has been no more. Now if you need a 4 wheeler to get into the woods more power to you, just don't chase deer with it. Now when season opens you never see them running thru the woods anywhere like you did several years ago. Sam

5. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Same laws as here. But Ive never heard of them actually enforcing it. Heck they only give fines for shooting the (DNR) mechanical deer on the side of the road.
    Two guys i used to work with shot one, one time. Yep both of them shot it. :nana:

:bow: Ohio!

6. edcopp

edcopp Well-Known Member

So they had trouble with these guys before. Perhaps the judge just got tired of being ignored. Good job your honor. :)

7. sewing nana

sewing nana Well-Known Member

I use to live in that area. Those from up north would come down and just do what they wanted. I'm glad there is a judge doing something finally. Maybe others will take notice.

8. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

I posted on this thread yesterday...but it was one that disappeared. I said that Kentucky had similiar laws. You get a huge fine,plus you have to pay to get your guns back,and some people were getting jail time this time(even the women!).
    They weren't showing any mercy.

Someone said that trespassing to hunt wasn't poaching(on another missing post). Well,I thought hunting on restricted land was indeed poaching. Am I right? I'm just curious now,because I had always thought that was considered poaching.

9. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

Moonshine, as far as I'm concerned it's poaching. They are stealing someone elses right to decide who gets to hunt on their land.

Mike