Don't throw a fit in Oklahoma

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by FarmGoddess, Nov 29, 2006.

1. FarmGoddess

FarmGoddess Well-Known Member

I called my sister in Oklahoma today and she was filling me in on some of her kid's latest stunts. The funniest involved my 10 year old neice.

Well, 10 going on about 30.

Seems like DN was playing at the neighbors. Sister calls and tells her it's time to come home. DN gets a bit shirty and informs her she'll be home when she's good and darn ready. Sister hangs up phone and goes over to neighbors. There is DN playing with her little buddies. DN decides to roll her eyes and give her mom the old 'talk to the hand treatment' and starts to run off. Sister grabs her by the arm, DN falls on the ground acting like a little drama queen, screaming her fool head off and yelling 'call the police', 'help me', and being a general little snot. Lady next door hears all the commotion, comes outside, there's DN laying on the ground screaming and my sister threatening her with grevious bodily harm if she doesn't get up and shut up. Lady next door yells "Don't leave, I'll be right back". Sister thinks the ladies about to go call the police and she's about to get arrested. Instead, the lady comes back out on the porch with a fly swatter, throws it over the fence to where my sister is and says "Here, honey, use this, it alway's worked for me".

Don't think DN is going to try that little stunt again, that is when she finally gets ungrounded.

Just thought I'd share. Common sense isn't dead yet...

:hobbyhors :hobbyhors :hobbyhors

2. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

Oh my, a lesson was learned.....

Had to laugh, and sympathize with the mom.

Angie

3. belladulcinea

belladulcinea Well-Known Member

Yep, the old flyswatter to the rear end trick! My Oklahoma mom used it on us all the time!

4. dhaley

dhaley Rebel Chick

I remember one time my mom was getting ready to tear into me for something I had done, when I threatened to call chcild abuse on her. I thought that would stop her! But not my dear sweet mother. She picked up the phone and asked if she should dial the number for me! Then she tore me a new one!!
    I look back on it now and laugh. The things kids do and say.

5. KayJay

KayJay Well-Known Member

:rotfl: That was great! I'd have literally rotfl if I'd seen someone do that!!

6. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

That's awesome! :)

7. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    I think this should be printed out and stapled to the forehead of every teacher and social worker everywhere. Being sure to cover their eyes.

8. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

I spewed coffee. Boy, isn't that the truth!

9. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

Too Funny! When my kids were small/young I used the flyswat all the time! If they were doing something wrong, I just had to walk toward the refg. and they would stop in mid-wrong-doing and sit on their bottoms... My dh said 'they were going to think that they were flies' ..... I still use it to correct my dogs, I have never had to actually spank the dogs w/ it--just get it off the refg. and they all stop barking!!! All I have to do is say "do you want me to get the flyswat and my old dog (who is barky) will stop barking and get in her chair!!!!
    I wish I knew the neighbors address--I would send her a card!!!

10. DKWunlimited

DKWunlimited A year full of blessings Supporter

Oh not all teachers and social workers are clueless. I substitute teach at my boys school in Oklahoma and they both had the same first grade teacher.. she's older and came to me one day on the play ground to ask me if I had a paddle. Her kids are now grown so she had found her old one if I wanted it. My younest is a bit strong willed.. to say the least..lol

I am now back in school finishing a social services degree. Our state law says we may spank our children on the butt. Talked to a social worker friend and she said.. yep, as long as you don't leave bruises.

11. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Hmmmm somebodies(kids and parents) at the pizza parlor needs the flyswatter treatment :p

Thanks for the laugh! :)