Don't put your stupid hat on!

Discussion in 'Survival & Emergency Preparedness' started by Harry Chickpea, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Harry Chickpea

Harry Chickpea Well-Known Member Supporter

I am loving the statement by the Gov. of NC warning people not to go out on the roads in ice and snow. It is about time for someone to state it like it is. CBS news had a state worker at a prison complaining that someone else caused her car to get stuck. Uhhh, really? We need to change the slogan from "Here's yer sign" to "Here's yer hat."

mpillow, hercsmama, OK Yankee and 5 others like this.
  2. Rainy

Rainy Well-Known Member Supporter

Amen!!!
    I think also in that segment didn't they show the lady that had no power and of course she had no food... her statement was "no power, no food" they were putting down a plate of potato chips for the kids...Really!!! I live in Kansas and have known that the storm was coming... and she didn't even bother to go to the store.... I am orginally from the South, we weren't use to that weather,but holy cow if they said there was ice or snow coming i was at the store first back then....

Wendy, hercsmama, OK Yankee and 3 others like this.

3. Tarheel

Tarheel Well-Known Member

Harry most of em still did't listen though. Herd through the grape vine last night... that being we were under a state of emergency that if you were caught out (driving) with out a good excuse you got a ticket.

Hmmm, maybe we got a keeper Governor.

Rainy likes this.
  4. unregistered29228

unregistered29228 Guest

We live in an area where people are more independent and farm-mentality. I don't know anyone who went out on the roads yesterday. I didn't even go to the store before the storm (which we knew about DAYS beforehand), because I had plenty of food and even milk and bread.

I just took the dog out and there's a 1/2 inch crust of ice on top of 6 inches of snow. Anyone who drives on that is just asking for a wreck. I heard that 12 people died in the South, and there were more than 200 crashes in Georgia.

5. Cindy in NY

Cindy in NY Well-Known Member Supporter

I told DH that when someone at works starts to tell him about some dumb idea they have (you can always see it coming!!) that he should say "Now, don't put your stupid hat on!" !! :)

At least the folks in Atlanta, learned a lesson! I guess NC have learned their lesson now! I've lived in both states and found that anyone south of Richmond can not drive in the snow. The folks in Richmond can barely drive in the rain!!

Harry Chickpea likes this.
  6. 7thswan

7thswan Well-Known Member Supporter

If you ever need a refresher on how people think, watch Judge Judy for a month. Some folks brain does not contain the "reasoning" section.

scooter, Sawmill Jim and Ozarks Tom like this.
  7. Jim-mi

Jim-mi Well-Known Member

I guess it was good for cbs to spend the time showing that "no power--no food--potato chips" woman on the national news . . . . . .
    Excellent example of the dumbed down sheeple who rely on the goobermint to think for them...

flip side was seeing empty roads etc. etc. . . meaning that at least --some-- of the population is still capable of thinking..........

8. Harry Chickpea

"The folks in Richmond can barely drive in the rain!!" LOL! Went through the Richmond area one night on I-95 in a rainstorm, and you are SOOOO right about that. I felt safer driving on the old seven mile bridge to Key West (which was as wide as a narrow country road for seven miles with 18 wheelers coming across at 60 mph).

scooter, 7thswan and Ozarks Tom like this.
  9. 7thswan

7thswan Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh Harry, that drive was scary. I used to be so afraid of a flat tire or breakdown.

Sawmill Jim likes this.
  10. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

LOL the "Dunce Cap" is politically incorrect these days.....that slope was slippery and fast to the bottom, too:p

Sawmill Jim likes this.
  11. Roadking

Roadking Well-Known Member Supporter

Only thing I've seen on our road was a PENNDOT truck and a few snowmobiles. We have 4 wheel drives, yet I have no need to, nor intention of going on the road for a few days.

Matt

scooter and Sawmill Jim like this.
  12. Jim-mi

Jim-mi Well-Known Member

But Matt I gots to go . . All I's got is tater chips for the kids....
    . . You must help me . . . . . . . .

13. Roadking

Roadking Well-Known Member Supporter

"snow cones"...LOL!

Matt

Ambereyes, scooter and Sawmill Jim like this.
  14. Tarheel

Tarheel Well-Known Member

Jim I can sends you a snooooooows ball but you probablys alreadys gots ones of thoose.

Sawmill Jim likes this.
  15. farmrbrown

farmrbrown nobody

Some of the people out don't have a good excuse, some might. But I'd like to make a few corrections on this thread before it goes too far.

Having a lot of experience driving mountain roads in bad conditions, I know exactly what that woman was talking about who blamed the car in front of her when she got stuck.
    When driving on icy roads, especially hills.......
    Don't stop
    Don't stop
    Don't stop......
    Or we'll ALL be stuck.
    Secondly, if you listened closely, she was a corrections officer.
    Unless you just want to open the gates, someone is going to have to show up for 3 shifts, 24/7 at the jailhouse.

Lastly, I like the Governor's comment, but i'd gladly consider a trade with another state.......although after seeing the goofballs in the governor mansions of other states, I'm not so sure that would be an improvement.

16. Harry Chickpea

Having a lot of experience driving mountain roads in bad conditions, I know exactly what that woman was talking about who blamed the car in front of her when she got stuck.
    When driving on icy roads, especially hills.......
    Don't stop
    Don't stop
    Don't stop......
    Or we'll ALL be stuck.
    Secondly, if you listened closely, she was a corrections officer.

Odd, but you just placed the thrust of my response right in there. "Closely."
    Having done my fair share of driving in snow, one of the cardinal rules is to not follow closely enough that the person ahead of you is going to dictate how you drive.

Unless you just want to open the gates, someone is going to have to show up for 3 shifts, 24/7 at the jailhouse.

Which makes me wonder... if she can't get out, who is going to man the barricades? One can make the logical jump that conditions are bad on both sides of the road. Even at one of the Atlanta tv stations they were mentioning how they slept on the floor above the studio so that they could cover their next shifts.

17. Annsni

Annsni Well-Known Member Supporter

You don't need to follow closely to have other dictate how you drive. We have a massive hill to leave our neighborhood and hubby went to go to work one day when a police car was sliding down sideways. He had no where to go but back down which he did quickly.

So we've got a foot of snow and right now we're getting freezing rain on Long Island. We will switch back to snow and get another 4-5" tonight. I have a roaster chicken in the oven and will have it with mashed potatoes, stuffing, carrots, green beans and gravy. For dessert, we'll have apple cake and ice cream. Had the power gone out, I'd have cut up the chicken and cooked it on the stove but the rest would be the same. The apple cake would be an apple crisp in the fireplace. We have more than enough food for days and we're hunkered down for now except my one daughter who HAS to get to the grocery store because most of the staff didn't come in but there are plenty of customers. I'd personally shut down since we are in a state of emergency but that just makes sense and we don't live in a world that makes sense. :flame:

18. farmrbrown

farmrbrown nobody

*sigh*
    I guess I'm going to have to explain this in great detail in order to make myself clear.
    The night I had to leave my truck halfway up a hill, I was not even following anyone, but a bunch of drunks coming down the hill made me stop before I got to the curve as both of us needed the full 2 lanes to negotiate the curve safely on that slippery night. Instead of him waiting on me to get all the way up, he had to start down it, forcing me to stop on the ice, lose traction and not be able to start again without sliding sideways off the mountain.
    Same thing happened to my wife when she had a CDL on a mountain pass in the Rockies.
    Same thing has happened on a road here near Asheville, Long Shoals road, whenever someone stops half way up the hill and any other car is within a 1/4 mile of the stopped car.
    You don't have to be close to them, unless you consider 100 car lengths close.

Annsni likes this.
  19. Annsni

Annsni Well-Known Member Supporter

Yep - it just takes some circumstance to make you have to stop your momentum. If you do, you're toast!

20. Harry Chickpea

Going out of a parking lot at a prison, I'd be willing to bet that the officer was a lot closer than 100 car lengths.

I understand your point. If I stop and consider it, I am stuck here because I know that there is a possibility of someone sideways on a road in the area, and I am therefore "in theory" at their mercy. I guess I should be complaining about them and blaming them (unless they die, in which case it was a terrible "accident").

Sawmill Jim likes this.