Don't Mess With This Horse!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Bruce in NE, Nov 13, 2004.

1. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

2. soaring

soaring Member

Looks like a mule to me. I knew they guarded well against dogs, but I thought they were afraid of big cats! Wow!

3. ginnie5

ginnie5 wife,mom,taxi driver,cook Supporter

that's what I was just thinking. I showed it to my dd who loves horses. she said it was a donkey and she wouldn't want to ride it. I think you'd be pretty safe with that one around!

4. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

Bruce,

Awsome pictures! I would loved to have seen that in person. The dogs in the background are doing what I'd have been doing, watching from a safe distance. :D

Looks like this guy knows how to handle the situation with no intervention. Any idea of what the outcome for the poor cat was?

5. TennOC

TennOC Member

Looks like a horse to me....

6. Fla Gal

Click on the last picture, which will enlarge it in a new window, and you'll be able to see how big it's ears are.

7. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

Its a mule, and the cat looks pretty dead to me.

8. GrannieD

GrannieD Well-Known Member

Its a mule ..! no horse, no donkey fantastic pics...& remember if a mule will do this to a big cat it will do your collie or goat as well...not all of them will get this inspired,but they tend to be bossy with smaller animals...I'm sure I'd have been off him taking the pics too...! GrannieD

9. Fla Gal

Let's say the last picture is a time frame of 10 seconds from beginning to end with the mule having his mouth over the rear end of the cat. I looked at the pictures again. Yep!!! That's a dead cat for sure.

Yummy, mountain lion steaks for dinner tonight. You're all invited. :p

10. mamabear

mamabear Well-Known Member

This happened not far from here. The way I heard it they were tracking the cat which had supposedly been responsible for the deaths of some cattle. When they got close to the cat, it suddenly run in amongst them, trying to get back past them. The mule grabbed the cat by the leg and the fight was on. The photographer, the others with him and the hunting dogs all gave the mule room, and the mule took care of the problem.
    Good mule...
    mamabear

11. Fla Gal

mamabear,

Just out of curiosity, where is here?

Yes, Good mule... wish I was able to have at least one of them along with the homestead to support him, rabbits, chickens a few head of cattle, a goat or two and a couple LGD's. VERY.... good mule.

12. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

If you will look closely you will see that the cat has its right front foot caught in a trap!

13. Fla Gal

I took another look at the last picture and I don't think it's a trap. I think it's one of the reins from the bridle on the mule that has become entangled on the cat. In the third picture you can clearly see the reins have come off the mules neck and are hanging down, hence, the appearance of a possible trap.

14. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

15. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

I always preferred a good saddle mule to a horse any day

16. Fla Gal

I agree with you Shrek, mules are so much more surefooted and light on their feet than horses. They're a pleasure to ride.

17. 65284

65284 Well-Known Member Supporter

Yep, that is a mule. The appearance of dogs, an empty rifle scabbard on the mule, and in the first pic, what could be a bullet wound in the cat's neck, all make me think this mule is working over a dead, dying, or totally exhausted cat. I suspect the cat was run with the dogs until it couldn't go any farther and/or was shot. The area where this is taking place looks to be fairly open. And a healthy cougar is far too fast and agile for a mule to get hold of without being cornered or injured.

18. sidepasser

sidepasser Well-Known Member

Hi,

It's a mule and a nice one at that. My mule gets along good with everyone including my very small rat terror, lucy. She will go after a strange dog though, but is now babysitter to one very annoying TB filly which she adores. not all mules go after goats or small animals, Pumpkin was raised with calves and goats and totally ignores them unless they pester her about food, then she lays her ears back and throws her head at them, but has never tried to go after any.

I like mules, they are thoughtful, intelligent and surefooted and won't put themselves in harm's way like a horse will. And cost a fraction of what a horse does in vet, farrier, and feed bills.

Sidepasser