don't like their hay....

Discussion in 'Goats' started by MamaDee, Aug 17, 2006.

1. MamaDee

MamaDee Well-Known Member

Are goats picky about the hay they eat? We bought 5 bales of supposedly good alphalfa hay for them and they don't seem to eat much of it. They adore the prepared bagged food.......one of them ended up with diarreah b/c I think they were eating too much of that. So we feed them the correct amount now along with their hay. They also get a bit of cuttings from around the property, too every day--stuff from the garden, trees, flowers, weeds, etc.

But they don't seem to eat much of the hay. They don't seem to really like it. I don't know if they're waiting for the bagged food or what. Or if they hay isn't really all that great. Should we switch to another supplier? They're hard to come by around here. Alphalfa is the best for them is it not?

We have three 4 month old does. Thanks!

Dee

2. Idahoe

Idahoe Menagerie More~on

Mine didn't like their hay at first, either. They had previously had alfalfa hay, which they loved, then I switched to pellets and timothy/clover hay. Within two weeks they were eating the new hay b/c that is all there was!

How long have they "refused" the new hay? Is there any possibility it is somehow spoiled? They know these things. But I sincerely doubt that is the problem, of course. Goats hate change, not the new hay. Mine forgot the alfalfa hay, love the pellets and new hay now.

They get anxious and then they bawl for you to fix it. Some call it manipulation, I think they believe we can and should fix everything so they're constantly eating what they want :D. They'll get over it and soon you'll look out and they'll all have giant mouthfuls of the new hay as if they've always eaten it.

3. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Does the hay smell fresh?? Is there a "poof" of dust when you open a new bale?? Is there *any* mold or musty smell?? Is it bright green or more brown?? Are there thick stems or is it mostly leaves?? There are a lot of things that can go wrong with hay and goats are picky about it. If it is dusty it can give them coughs and sniffles. If its moldy or musty(even just a little), it can kill them.

4. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

Possibly between the grains, and fresh cut daily vegetation that all they need. Why eat dry hay when you know that the arrival of branches, weed and other yummies will becoming soon. Also remember that they are only four months. Like Ozark said check for mold/smell that is the most likely cause if they continue to ignore the hay through the fall/winter months or stop providing the daily cuttings for a few days is you are that concerned...My thoughts....John
    Also are they full size breeds or dwarfs???

5. Tiffin

Tiffin Well-Known Member

I would skip the goodies and bagged food (grain?). We came across some hay that was a year old out of a shed. The goats loved it. They preferred that over fresh bales. It seems the older the better for them. Go figure. They won't starve, that's for sure. Once they get started then re-introduce the goodies.

6. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Our little dwarf/pygmies won't eat hay, either.

7. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

Only time I have known of goats to be picky on hay if it is to dusty or has something wrong with it..Other than that I haven't really known of goats not like hay..

Good Luck on your goats..

I gone to eat watermelon.. MMM

LOL.. I had to throw that in for fun..

8. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

As someone mentioned. They may be getting enough greens that they are not hungry for hay. But my goats will eat good alfalfa hay no matter *how* much other stuff they get to eat. I would *seriously* doubt the quality of the hay if goats are refusing to eat *alfalfa*....even young goats. But maybe your goats are just extra picky?? :shrug: :)