Don't laugh at me..........

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Kazahleenah, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Kazahleenah

Kazahleenah Disgruntled citizen

I'm a little boy with glasses, the one they call a geek
    a little girl who never smiles cuz I got braces on my teeth
    and I know how it feels to cry myself to sleep

I'm that kid on every playground who is always chosen last
    a single teenage mother tryin to overcome her past
    You don't have to be my friend if it's too much to ask

Don't laugh at me, don't call me names
    Don't get your pleasure from my pain
    In God's eyes we're all the same
    some day we'll all have perfect Wings
    Don't laugh at me

I'm a cripple on the corner
    You pass me on the street
    I wouldn't be out here begging if I had enough to eat
    and don't think I don't notice that our eyes never meet

I lost my wife and little boy somewhere across that yellow line
    The day we laid 'em in the ground was the day I lost my mind
    Right now I'm down to holdin this little cardboard sign

Don't laugh at me, Don't call me names
    Someday we'll all have perfect wings
    Don't laugh at me

I'm Fat, I'm thin..I'm Short, I'm tall..I'm deaf.. I'm blind
    Hey aren't we all
    Don't laugh at me...... Don't call me names
    Someday we'll all have perfect wings
    Don't laugh at me

written by
    Allen Shamblin & Steve Seskin, and
    recorded by Mark Wills

2. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

I was one if those kids who everyone made fun of, and wanted to beat up. If it wasnt for my parents who were very strict, but suportive, and very...I dont know...they always took the time to talk with me about personal problems, I probably would have turned to drugs or vilence as a teen. Thank god for tough, loving parents

3. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

Its a very nice country soung.

4. Kazahleenah

Kazahleenah Disgruntled citizen

yep... sometimes the world needs a lil reminder to "be nice". I like that song.

5. zookeeper16

zookeeper16 Karaoke Queen

The song is several years old but its always been one of my and my DD's favorites. A nice reminder to be kind to all.....

6. Bluecreekrog

Bluecreekrog Well-Known Member

I was the fat kid that hated sports and always got chased home. Until one day in 8th grade I knocked the bully on his butt. Never had a problem since, I was EMPOWERED! :buds:

7. cpeyus

cpeyus Well-Known Member

When that song first came out, my DSs heard it and were visibly moved by it...much to my delight! It was an excellent teaching moment & while they aren't perfect, if I catch them saying anything negative about another person, I just start singing the song & they know...it's a great song!

8. Linda H

Linda H Missouri Ozarks

I too was the short fat kid at school. I was the one who always dropped the baseball and let the other team score. Or if I did manage to catch up with the ball, would pick it up and throw it to the first baseman. Never mind the runner was on third base heading for home.

I did have one thing going for me, hmmm well maybe not. My dad's best friend was a washed up boxer, who delighted in giving the 8 year old short kid boxing lessons. It turned out to be a sport that I really excelled at. When I was in the sixth grade I gave the 8th grade bully a black eye. The last thing I heard her say as she ran toward the office was " I'll kill you tomorrow. " Tomorrow happened to be the day that the 8th graders had their special xtra fancy pictures taken. I don't know which was worse for her, the black eye or the fact that the "office" didn't believe her.

Linda H,

9. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

lol at the black eye...i hate bullies. i had one neighbor bully tell me i needed to "stay on my side of the creek" the words still rattle around my brain. it was chisled in stone by a short fist to my stomach. it was really funny though when my fifteen year old female cousin (very large for a girl at the time) chased him away, lol.

it is kinda sad when i look back and realize his drunken dad passed on all his crazy ideas (things concerning men and women and racial stuff that really is not worth digitizing for eternity). the bully's mom died when he is young so i guess he had no buffer to his dad's goofy ideas.

things never really end though...this year he came on "my" side of the creek and killed a 9 point buck that his son tagged. at least he waited until the season began this year. oh my.

10. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

Peter, Paul, and Mary recorded that song as part of an anti-bullying campaign, Operation Respect (http://www.operationrespect.org/). (P,P,&M left out the part about the mommy and little boy dying.)

When I worked in schools, I used the materials for children as young as 1st grade, and it was very powerful -- and effective.

Something everyone needs to learn is that bullying others is wrong. One positive thing I can say for the district in which I formerly worked is that they did support my teaching the kids about how to deal with bullying and other emotional intelligence issues.

And the reason I feel it's so important? I was one of the kids who got targeted by bullies, when I was in 8th grade. Most miserable year of my life, even if you add in all the sorrow and painful things in my adult world. I swore that if ever I could, I would help other kids not to feel that way.

Pony!

11. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing your childhood bully stories...my oldest is in 7th grade and it is important for her to know she is not the only one ever to be singled out. I'm printing out the thread for her to read. It can be empowering just to know you aren't alone in the struggle.