Don't forget to check the local saw mill.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by stanb999, Apr 22, 2006.

1. stanb999

stanb999 Well-Known Member

I'm building a hay/milking barn for the goats. I figured that I'd build a shed that was 8' X 16'. Useing only 1/2" ply and 2X4's at 24". Only tin and rafters for the roof. I figured that it would cost about 600.00 - 650.00 from the lowes.

I stopped by a little sawmill before heading into town. "just to check". Man, was I surprised. I'm getting a 10'X16' board and baton barn with a post and beam structure. With 1" planking all around including the roof. All the lumber is also right sized. The 4x4 posts are 4"x4". This was too great, bigger barn, real lumber, nicer look, and .............cheaper. About 600 total. :bouncy:

2. e.alleg

e.alleg Well-Known Member

good deal. I go to the Amish guys around here in western NY, they are about 1/2 the price of Home Depot and better quality.

3. fricknfarm

fricknfarm Well-Known Member

Sure, the Amish. Out here in MO you can fill up your pickup with the oak scraps, 4"X4"X12" or so, sometimes 2"X4"X12" for five dollars. It is fabulous wood for a small airtight woodstove. You can pack it very nicely and it burns really well. The softer woods MAY be treated so I don't take that but others do. It would cost more for gas to cut the wood than five dollars. Always be sure to check your local mill, even if it's a pallet factory, they may have something you can use!

4. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

My dad & 2 of my brothers own 2 mills. I love it!! I can get scrap & even good stuff for nothing. I have built all kinds of things. They used to let people get the slab wood for free to burn, but they had way too many complain about it & someone stole the door off of his outside furnace. So now they just burn the pile every couple of weeks. It's too bad that a couple of rotten apples spoil it for everyone else.

5. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

All my buildings even my House made from Rough Cut Oak.I built my Barn for $1,000.

Going to use it to build my Cabin at the Lake.

I can get Slab Wood for $10 Loaded.

[​IMG]

big rockpile

6. just_sawing

just_sawing Haney Family Sawmill

Thanks for letting people know that a little sawmill can beat the lowes price. Also it amazes me that I have to burn slab wood to get rid of it especially in the summer.