Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went downstairs and found DH acting kind of funny...I caught him trying to bait a mousetrap and hide it before I caught him. Seems he spotted a tiny mouse in the bathroom and hoped to avoid the cleaning frenzy that would follow if I knew about it LOL.

We've had a very few mice since we've lived here and I'm not afraid of them but can't eat a bite off of anything in the kitchen if I even imagine they've tiptoed across it. I'm not a clean freak but that is my weak point.

Anyway, my point is he had a broke mouse trap trying to make it work when I caught him. I just smiled and handed him a brand new one right out of my preps...he should have known me better than that. Mice and weevils are the enemies of preppers. Now I'm going to set one in my pantry just in case.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Good advice! We had a mouse, which we named Wile-y; because he seemed impossible to catch. He kept eating the bait from the mousetraps and not getting caught, so we switched to a glue trap we had. He ate the bacon right out of the middle of it, left behind a bit of hair and once again escaped. I told my husband, we need new traps! He said that he just needed to make them snap more easily and adjusted them. He went to do that and found that Wile-y wasn't so smart after all; he accidentally ran across a not yet baited glue trap and well the rest is history! And I know what you mean about wanting to scrub down everything. Nasty little creatures.

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
We're completely overrun with the little devils. Can't get them out of this old farmhouse and can't put down poison because I've got a toddler in the home.

I don't stockpile mousetraps or bait strips. I've just learned to like cats.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ernie you are right. For years I had cats and never a mouse one and then somehow we took in a dog that didn't like them and all my cats packed up and moved to the neighbor's house...didn't hurt that he had several cats and enticed every cat we ever had LOL.

I've put my foot down, no more yard dogs til these are gone, then I'll find a puppy and raise with the cats. That's the way it was for years around here and we never saw a mouse or a rat. We cannot keep rats out of our barn now.

We don't have any little ones anymore. All the kids are grown and not any prospect of a grandbaby in sight but that's another thread.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
My mouse traps are 4 footed with fur. 3 of them live in, around, & under the house. I haven't had a mouse yet this year, and the few that came in last year were cat food very quickly. These fur "mouse traps" work much better than any wooden trap I've ever used. But I have a lot of those sticky mouse traps in the preps in case they are needed someday.

Thankfully my dogs get along great with the cats. One of the kittens even nursed one of the dogs when it was young. LOL

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I have cats but it makes sense to have a few mouse traps in preps, thanks for the idea.

I live in suburbia so we don't have those cute lil bitty mice we have sewer rats! They scare the crap out of me! Luckily with three cats around I rarely see one except in the jaws of my darling kitties.

·
Banned
1,627 Posts
the last cat around here was in the late 40s and it brought about a dozen snakes up to the door and left them there, they were biten by the cat but still alive. mice are scarce til it gets really cold, then the deer mice show up.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DH is relieved...he caught the little booger last night so he's thinking he's avoided a weekend of scrubbing LOL. What was so funny was the look on his face when I caught him with that mouse trap last night.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
I saw one the other night out around my trash bags that were going to the burn pit in the morning. I got out some of those little rat poisen pellets and threw them under the house and a few under the feed shed. Hopefully that'll help.

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
Cats, or one of the dogs originally bred for ratting, are indeed the best rodent-catchers (I know some people keep ferrets for the purpose, but I can't stand their smell).

There's another pest it would be wise to prep for, one I hadn't even thought about until we had to deal with them recently -- head lice! If the grid goes down, and sanitation becomes a problem for most people, things like head lice will likely become more common -- and if the store-bought shampoo becomes unavailable, you need to know what else works. I can vouch for mayonnaise! But I think anything that smothers the little bugs should work. The mayonnaise has to be left on for a couple of hours, but your hair will be nice and shiny and soft when you wash it out (which is more than I can say for the special shampoo -- my scalp felt like a board after I used that!). Then, of course, you have to wash everything in the house, and spray and vacuum all the upholstered furniture and the mattresses. It's a major undertaking -- I can see why our ancestors were so horrified when their children got head lice!

It's wise in this situation to discourage close contact with anyone whom you haven't vetted -- our head lice came from a young visitor this last summer who came down from Alaska with my aunt. Evidently head lice are nearly endemic in some of the Indian villages up there -- my aunt didn't check the young person for head lice before they came down (which she should have done, because she knew it could be a problem) and then when she discovered it after they got back she didn't call and tell us! So my poor daughter, who had frequently sat on the sofa with the girls while they were here, had a very bad infestation before I realized what was going on.

Kathleen

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When I was a kid you hardly ever heard of anybody with head lice but by the time my boys got in school, they were bad again. We fought a few rounds of them and I can vouch for the fact that the shampoo is as bad on your hair as any chemical we ever used in the beauty shop not to mention the insecticides in that shampoo and the cost. I prefer the smothering method too. Olive oil is a good hair conditioner that would do the job too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I get em in my garage. My dog (must be a dingo mix) is a natural mouser. I occasionally find them in the lawn when they don't squeak for him anymore.

I also keep a bunch of traps (snap type) :croc: in the garage on the higher shelves. A few traps seem to catch the majority of em.

Being cheap, I use plyers or a screw drive to unstick them from the trap over a garbage can, and usually just reset it. I wonder how many other people re-use their traps or just toss the whole thing in the trash.... any of you reuse your traps?

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
I used to think that a used trap would scare the mice away, once they scented the blood. However I've seen traps where a dead mouse was in it and someone else had came later and stole the bait. I've even seen traps with a half-eaten mouse where after he took the snap his buddies came and nibbled on HIM. I don't think the mice really care if the trap has been used before or not. To a mouse, the entire world is full of danger. Scenting the blood from another dead mouse probably doesn't sway them too much in the face of cheese or peanut butter.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts