Don't Do What I Did!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Becky H., Nov 17, 2005.

1. Becky H.

Becky H. Well-Known Member

We moved to our "homestead" about 3 years ago and it was in a colder climate than we were used to. In fact it gets pretty cold here! Brrrrr!

Well, don't do what I did and just use water in the radiators. In cold climates it freezes. The bright side is, I got a better car :)

So if anyone moved to a new homestead this year, and not used to the cold weather, have to "winterize" the engines, and winter is coming soon.

Just thought I'd pass that along :)

2. stanb999

stanb999 Well-Known Member

Hey Becky that IS great advise. Also make sure you empty all the gas out of the yard equipment you wont be using for several months. The gas will gell and it wont start again without a carb rebuild. Another tip for cold weather is keep your gas tank full in the auto. This will keep moisture buildup to a minimum and add a can of fuel line antifreeze/water remover at least once when it first gets cold.

3. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

OHMYGOSH! You're in Mississippi???
    And you're cold???
    Where are you FROM?
    ;)

4. Iddee

Iddee Well-Known Member

For your boat, lawnmower, ETC., go to your local auto parts and ask for STA-BIL. Add it to your gas and run the engine long enough to get the mix into the carb, "about 2 minutes" It will keep the gas from decomposing and the engine will start and run fine in the spring.
    Another tip. If you can possibly get by without it, DO NOT set your handbrake. If you have ran through water it will allow your brake drums to freese to the pads or shoes and you will be stuck. They cannot release.

5. tiogacounty

tiogacounty Well-Known Member

Becky, just a quick heads up. If you care about the longevity of your vehicles, never run just water in the cooling system. Anti-freeze/coolant does a lot more than just prevent the water from freezing. Antifreeze, in the proper concentration, (as you discovered) prevents the coolant from freezing. It also raises the boilover temperature, allowing the vehicle to run hotter than plain water would. It contains a chemical "soup" of various corrosion inhibiters that will extend the life of your cooling system, and keep your radiator from clogging. Antifreeze is recycleable and a lot of repair shops now reclaim and reuse antifreeze. Anti-freeze typically is mixed in a 50% anti-freeze to 50% water ratio. Too much water and you won't get the freeze protection you need, too much anti-freeze (over 75%) is also undesirable. Remember anti-freeze is toxic to animals and smells sweet and tasty, so it needs to be kept away from cats and dogs. Hope this helps.

6. Becky H.

Becky H. Well-Known Member

I've lived all over but I originally came from SF bay area and hard frosts are very rare there.

It gets really brrr cold down here! The canadian front drops down pretty low sometimes and I'm at the NE part of the state.

Oh, one other thing on the car. Well, our latest car (that I didn't blow up yet) is one of those that has gauges that tell if your tire is low (blinks inside the car on the dash.) It went low today and I was told because it was already bit low but the cold weather compressed the air a bit more (or something like that) and made it bit lower.

Check air tire pressure too in start of cold weather (as it gets lower.)

7. Ed0517

Ed0517 Well-Known Member

Becky,

Gas pressure decreases with decreasing temperature. That is why hot air balloons rise - hot air is less dense. See that big fire below the opening? It fills with the less dense hot air - and rises, like with the even less dense helium. It's why a balloon that gets hotter (like against a light bulb) explodes (the gas expands faster than the skin). Also why you should check tire pressure when the tire is cold - a tire at 34 psi hot is NOT 34 PSI cold.