Homesteading Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Banned
6,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever see the one that tells you if someone (a cop) tries to pull you over in a area you are not comfortable with to drive to a well lighted public spot?

DONT BELIVE IT!

I was taking a fiend to workone night, coming up to a Pawnee a small town We saw the local cop cutting across the road obviously after someone. Laughing we got well slowed down and tried to see what he was after but didnt see him on the cross roads. I drove very carefully thru town . About a mile out of town I noticed headlights coming up VERY fast and sorta eased over.
I couldnt get off the road to let him pass because of huge ditches(well the seemed huge in the dark, but there wasnt anything coming so I figgered he would pass.
He didnt.
Now thinking maybe he wanted me for something and it wasnt a safe place to pull over I called 911 to tell them I would stop at the well lighted truckstop up the road.
911 said you have to pull over I said I will but I need a mile to get to a safe spot.
The conversation was ended when a oncoming car came across the centerline directly at me I missed him but ended up with my truck tettering on the edge of the ditch.
My speed never exceeded 25 from the time we saw the first cop car and oh yes the car that ran me off the road and then sat in the middle of the highway with NO lights on was a cop.
The two cops then spent a good hour going over my paperwork and trying to get my friend to say she was underage and that I was kiddnapping her, the even threatened her with taking her away from her parents (shes 28 and both her parents are dead)

Turns out this cop wont stop a car in town after dark cause his lights bother the residents....least thats what he said.

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
This stinks to high heaven! Are you familiar with this town? With this area?

(And what's "PSA" stand for?)

·
Incubator Addict
3,111 Posts
While the tactics of the officer involved are questionable, one of the main reasons you call 911 if you don't feel safe pulling over is to check that it is actually a real police car behind you.

Once you know that it is a real car, it is the officer's discretion whether or not the area is safe to pull you over in. Without heavy traffic in the area, you could safely stop on the side of the road, even if there wasn't any shoulder. Especially if the person at 911 is telling you to pull over.

Are the cops always right? That is obviously a NO. But given the choice between being cooperative and being a pain, you are better off cooperating. That doesn't mean you start telling them your life story, but it does mean you follow directions.

Kayleigh

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I'd give na affidavit about the whole incident to the local DA so it is on file. The whole thing sounds like they were trying to seperate you and the young lady which freaks me out. I lived in a region where 3 young women were killed by a serial killer posing as a cop. Noone in our area would stop for an unmarked cop car we would drive to the local cop station or a gas station if we couldn't find the cop shop. One of my teachers was pulled over by a guy with the same MO she gunned her engine and left him in her dust and went straight to the cops her ID of him and his car helped them figure out what was going on and capture him.

've been pulled over by cops for bogus things and will not open my window more then 2 inches and will not get out of the car usually when yousay you're calling for another car they backed off. Not a nice experience ever. I always explain why I am doing and why

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
There have been many cases where people have been dragged out of their cars, arrested, tased and otherwise abused because they didn't immediately pull over. It becomes even more confusing since to hide their cars from unsuspecting motorists many police cares don't have lightbars and they're not clearly marked. You really have no idea if the vehicle is a police car or not.

Law enforcement in this country is rampaging out of control with no checks or balances and little oversight at this point. It's becoming very dangerous to have an encounter with one now. One would be wise to mount carefully hidden audio and video equipment in your vehicle to surreptitiously document any sort of encounter you have with law enforcement. It might keep you out of jail and save your life at some point.

·
Premium Member
3,512 Posts
SIGH another bad cop story. This is getting old. SURE there are bad cops but there are GOOD policeman. Sorry but if one tries to stop me late at night I am finding a safe place. I have nearly been a victum of the fake cop stop.

·
Banned
2,134 Posts
SIGH another bad cop story. This is getting old. SURE there are bad cops but there are GOOD policeman. Sorry but if one tries to stop me late at night I am finding a safe place. I have nearly been a victum of the fake cop stop.
What exactly about this story, and others like it, is "getting old?"

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
I think she meant because you always, ALWAYS hear about the "bad" cops. Yet, there's hundreds, even thousands, of really awesome cops you NEVER hear about.
Been around cops many years now. When it comes to really awesome cops, off hand, I can only think of one, maybe two. The rest were/are abusive power thugs of various degrees, and those do number in the hundreds.

·
Banned
6,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think that the county court must have some level of knowlage of the situation cause out of the 8 tickets they wrote me that night all but one non point ticket was dropped BEFORE I got to the court house,.

·
Once I was seven years old
3,046 Posts
We had a story on the news last year about a woman on a lone rode driving to her home where her husband was waiting. The cop following her with his lights on didn't think too highly of it and I believe she was arrested for evading. I'd rather spend a night or two in jail until things are cleared up rather than an eternity in a coffin.

·
TLC Farm
246 Posts
My dh worked law enforcement in Palm Beach County, FL. He was an honest cop and was recognized many times for it. I can say that there are many officers who are not honest but, there are many who act like they do because they are scared.

My dh got shot 5 times on a routine traffic stop in 1986. I can tell you that the job they do is many times not appreciated and these guys are out there putting their lives on the line for us. It is hard to tell the difference until it is too late many times and it seems as though there is just no accountability but, try to remember in small towns most of these guys have very little training and they are doing the best they can with little knowledge of real law enforcement.

Just a thought from a retired officers wife.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I know of two teen girls here locally who when approached by LEO called 911 and slowly with hazards on went to the nearest well lit area less than two miles down the road. They were cuffed and charged with felony evasion.

All because they had heard from friends that a couple of the local LEO were pressing teen girls for "favors" after pulling them over to void the citations.

They had to be bailed out of jail. The judge threw all but the original citation for not dimming headlights out of court

·
Registered
745 Posts
Here in IL I know you can call 911 if you have a cell phone or at least acknowledge the officer by slowing down and turning on your flashers. Granted if you go the second route you will likly have a few more officers following you by the end of your trip but better safe than sorry. My FIL works for State Police and says a female should NEVER stop in a unlit or unbusy area for any car they are not certain of or have questions over. Makes sense to me. We have had problems in this area of non police officers stopping people. Scary stuff.

What county are you in? We are also in central IL and I would be more than happy to give you the number of the master sgt at the state police to talk to about this -- I am also wondering if you are in my area so I can be prepared for problems if they come about. Please let me know. Thanks

Mel

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Backwoods Momma:

My grandfather pioneered in PB County (Pahokee) and I grew up in Loxahatchee and WPB. Tell your hubby thank you for serving my home area, please.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.