DONKEYS on the small farm

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by thedonkeyman, Aug 28, 2005.

1. thedonkeyman

thedonkeyman Well-Known Member

First of all the American Donkey Association would like to see a Forum on Donkeys. Alot of horse people learn to ride Donkeys as they are a safe animal for children. There are SIXsizes of Donkeys. It just might be a good idea to have a couple of these trained to pack and drive as fuel prices are on the increase. There are many uses for this good natured animal. You are welcome to contact the ADA at adadonke@cmc.net or contact thedonkeyman at the EQUINE section of this site ? We have attempted to contact this site to have a new FORUM on DONKEYS, but no one will talk to us ? ADA,"helping to IMPROVE the STATUS of the DONKEYS".

2. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

I like donkeys but like Mules better. There is no doubt that these pleasant creatures are good mounts and easy keepers.

It would seem to me that the equine forum covers the needs of Donkey and Mule lovers quite well? I don't see so many posts on donkey's that they would need their own forum?

They are fun and neat. I am especially taken by spotted mules and used to visit Mule Days in Bishop, CA for many years.

LQ

3. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I think the equine forum has it covered. Perhaps if the American Donkey Association feels there is that much of a need for a donkey forum, they should create one on their site. That's what many associations do, ya know.

Meg

4. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

We love the mare donkey that owns us! :)
    She is a large standard french breed that I can't remember the name of.(starts with a P)
    She has long legs and is trim, not short and fat like some.
    She is dark chocolate with white nose and belly and has a mane like a horse so she is always being called a mule. She is NOT!

5. thedonkeyman

CORKY...The POITOU is one French breed that is a good breed of Donkey. You might attempt to locate a POITOU Jack to breed to.We have a Gelding that is part Poitou and his long hair protects him during the winter months and in part during the fly season. In a hotter climate it will shed off. But we live in Oregon and part of his hair stays on. We are hearing some questable comments about weather the Donkeys should have their own FORUM or not. Maybe each breed of HORSE should ? They have their own Associations. People are confused enough by Jacks being called STUDS and female Donkeys being called mares , instead of Jennets? We see alot of "horse people " have DONKEYS. Thank you, ADA "helping to IMPROVE the STATUS of the DONKEYS" . ADA..adadonke@cmc.net.

6. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

I tried to respond to this thread and somehow it became an e-mail. I have no idea where it went!
    Oh well... anyway..... Thanks! That is what she is. I bought her from a guy that got her in a trade with a mexican burro and her small colt. She was just a wooley , ugly baby, barely weened. He just wanted to get rid of her. He told me she was a mexican burro but he was very wrong.
    I don't plan on breeding her. There are too many donkeys out there now that do not have good homes after the novelty wears off. She is 9 years old now.
    She had three goats and an alpaca as companions. She only loves the doe goat as I got them at the same time and she thinks they are sisters. She puts up with the others.

7. thedonkeyman

CORKY, there are only a very few Poitou Donkeys in this country and any part breeds would be a welcome addition. We would love to see a picture of her. Where are you, I would geuss the south west ? We are in Oregon. Just as soon as we get this printer under control we just might be able to send pictures. We are retired and have four Donkeys. One part Poitou gelding, two smaller "muntchkins" stds. and a large Jack that is double bred "Black Bart" last of his line. We have been promoting DONKEYS for years and are attempting to get people to use them more, including those extra ones. Every one we have found that has owned a Donkey has had a positive experience, and better because of it. Our goal with the American DONKEY Association is get people to do something with their Donkeys. OR, they just sit and become RESCUE DONKEYS. We would rather see a child play with a Donkey out in the fresh air than play Computer games, and grow in size.

8. JoyKelley

JoyKelley Well-Known Member

donkeyman, I went on the link you left on a thread in the near past and can't find how to join the association. I want to , Fiona, my donk, is the begining of a love of a life time.

we need a thread on smart donkeys I think I will go start one right now

9. jamo

jamo Well-Known Member

I too love my donkey!! We got him as a pasture pet for our horse and they are best buds.