Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I'm new to being a donkey and pig mom. I grew up with burros, but did not do the caretaking on a daily basis. But now I have a big guard donkey who was found in the Mohave desert years ago, 2 mini jennets, 2 young gelded mini Mediterranean donkeys, and a 10 year old pot belly pig.

We moved here 4 weeks before the pandemic lockdown, and had to wait until a month ago to get our herd. Since then I have grown to love them more than I could ever have imagined. They guard donkey, Nacho, has turned out to be such a smart and aware guy. He took a bit to become friendly, but he has watched over everything and everyone since day one. I spend a lot of time with them and am thinking it's time to train them. One of them already comes when I call her, and the pig does about 4 tricks already.

The jennets stick together and so do the little two little jacks. The pig likes being a lone pig, which is not how most pigs are. But she's happy to hang with the donkeys and can hold her own with them. I'm in learning mode now and would love any advice or tips as I make the hap[piest and healthiest herd possible.

I have learned one thing. Do not wear sticky lipstick in the wind when you brush a donkey. Yeah, furry lips is not ever going to be a thing.

And now I'm going to check out what others have to say here.

Diana

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Hey Diana, nice to meet you.

I would never have thought about the lipstick and donkey fur, filing that away in my mental Rolodex ;)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts