Donkey with calves

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by petefarms, Aug 12, 2017.

1. petefarms

petefarms Well-Known Member

Heard a new one today, upstate NY we have lot's of coy dogs(coyotes) and a way to keep them away from beef cattle and calves was a donkey. That was a new one for all the years I've been around cows. Any thoughts?

2. G. Seddon

G. Seddon Well-Known Member Supporter

Donkeys "can" be used to guard livestock, but not just any donkey. No miniatures, even though people will tell you otherwise; once in a while, a miniature will be very assertive with predators, but in general they are too small to protect themselves from a pack of dogs and end up being dinner themselves. No jacks (intact males) who can be quite territorial and are very capable of tossing a calf over the fence (even a miniature donkey). A donkey that is raised with the type of animal it is going to protect is a better bet. However, donkeys still require health care, hoof trims, tooth floating, etc., and usually cannot have 24/7 access to lush pasture for risk of founder. I'd suggest that you look at an dog breed that is bred and raised as a livestock guardian instead of a donkey.

3. Oregon1986

Oregon1986 Well-Known Member

A lot of people around here have donkeys for that very reason. We have llamas and elpacas

4. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Not all donkeys make good guard animals and a bad one can cause more damage than a predator. I had much better luck keeping a couple longhorn cows & calves with my herd.

G. Seddon likes this.
  5. hiddensprings

hiddensprings Well-Known Member

I know a few people that use donkeys. We preferred dogs.