donating to heifer project how to?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Unregisteredabc, Nov 13, 2004.

1. How does one actually donate a live animal to the heifer project? goat or cow....

2. ForMyACDs

ForMyACDs Well-Known Member

It's my understanding that they don't take just any animals. Heifer works with breeders of high quality stock in an attempt to provide quality animals in their program. They're not interested in passing on culls etc. You can probably contact them to see if they would consider animals from your herd however.

3. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

Our dairy herd almost sent a Jersey bull to South America decades ago....but aparently it ended up being too costly on this end..sounds like it costs quite a bit to donate...

4. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

WE called our local chapter to see what they needed. They happened to need a buck and we had a nice registered one we could spare.

5. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Just contact them and tell them what you have and they'll let you know if they can use it. We gave them some ShetlandXMerino sheep one time that went to an island off the coast of Maine. They were hoping the Shetland blood would make them hardier for that climate. And they ended up with all of my purebred and very nice Nubians a couple of years ago, after my husband and I split up. He had said he'd keep them for me until I found a place where I could have them, then he changed his mind. So, Heifer Project got them. Better than having them go to auction.

Kathleen in Oregon