Donated sheep

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by popscott, May 17, 2020.

1. popscott

popscott Well-Known Member Supporter

Haven't seen it yet.... As we do animal rescue for all sorts of critters here. We are about to get a bottle fed lamb donated to us, breed unknown, sex unknown... We have had a rescue bottle fed hair sheep Ba-Ba for several years now and every year about this time her "hair" comes off in sheets until it goes away into a nice short coat...
    My concern is if this lamb is a wool sheep.... first, if a ram.... do they make wair or hool sheep? (which he will be banded if not to old)... and second, what kind of maintenance is required for the wool... if left unmanaged does it fall off like hair sheep or am I looking at a having to do something with it or it becomes a matted mess? Thanks in advance for your input...

2. stachoviak@msn.

[email protected] Well-Known Member

maybe like I did with my dog, You can pull the wool off with your hands and a brush.
    My friend's dad's sheep lost a lot of wool walking through the brush in the woods.
    The ones they sheared were all matted and knarled.

3. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

If it's a wool breed, it'll have to be sheared, at times, or the coat will become an unruly, matted mess and may even overwhelm the critter.

IlliniosGal likes this.
  4. Oxankle

Oxankle Well-Known Member

Wool sheep, if left alone, will develop a huge mass of wool that will eventually make it hard for them to survive. Somewhere on the net is a story and picture of such an animal that escaped shearing for several years. Further, if in goat/sheep country they can become entangled in briars and die. I once had to cut one loose while deer hunting.

5. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Wait until you get it and then worry about it. Certainly if it is a wool sheep it will have to be shorn at least once a year, and preferably twice for the reasons stated above. Added to those reasons is the fact that most people are unaware of how much energy it takes into growing fleece, often to the detriment of the sheep.

Oxankle, that was Shrek, a NZ sheep that managed to escape muster year after year and when they finally got him in, his fleece was dragging on the ground. I've forgotten how much it weighed. And yes, you're right, in rough country sheep with longer fleece are more prone to accident.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

6. DragonFlyFarm

DragonFlyFarm Well-Known Member

Some hair/wool crosses will shed/roo their fleece, some do not. Most wool sheep are shorn 1ce a year, Navajo Churro are shorn twice a year. In a pinch you can shear a sheep with a good pair of scissors. Good luck with your new lamb!

7. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

8. popscott

popscott Well-Known Member Supporter

They gave it to someone who already had sheep... Thanks for the replies ... Ba-Ba will have to go without a buddy.... she hangs with the horse and donkey anyway... she has nothing to do with the goats.

nehimama likes this.