Homesteading Forum banner

Do you Donate blood?

• Yes. routinely

• Yes, but only sporadically

• No, I am scared of needles

• No, based on religious or health reasons

• No, I have never thought of it

• Are you crazy? That is how the aliens control you!

Results are only viewable after voting.
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
reading the webpage for the girl in Alabama who rolled her jeep got me thinking about donating blood....it mentioned that blood banks in Alabama are low right now.

I originally started donating blood in High School....simply because they had a 'blood drive' and we would get extra credit points for some class...cant even remember now...I was a Junior....the next year Red Cross came back and again I donated for the extra credit points Fast forward to college....Oklahoma Blood Institute (OBI) blood drive at college--more extra credit points...

then my best friend from high school called to tell me that her mother had cancer. with the surgery they knew that she would lose a lot of blood and have to have somewhere between 1-5 units. the cost for a unit of blood if I remember correctly was around $50-75....I dont remember how many she really had to have.

with OBI you can donate in someone's name regardless of your blood type like I have A+ but she was B+ and couldnt have my blood....but as my unit went into the bloodbank, they were able to use one for free

I have a 2 gallon pin and several more donations since then...it is no longer about bonus points for me! I usually donate whole blood but it takes several units that are spun into their seperate components and then all the plasma is combined, all the red cells, etc...only once have I done the red blood cells/plasma (RBCP) machine.... it takes your blood into the machine, spins it, keeps what it needs and then returns what it doesnt back to your body.

you can donate every 56 days

I strongly encourage you to donate blood

Rachel

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I would love to donate blood. Had hepatitus when I was young. So can't.

Another easy or faily easy donation is bonemarrow. You just give a cheek swab and they put you on the donor roster.

·
writing some wrongs
6,873 Posts
Long ago, in a galaxy far, far away...I was in line to donate blood. I was 17 years old and my high school was having a blood drive. With a signed permission slip, those of us under 18 could donate if we weighed 100 pounds or more. I weighed 97. So I got a sticker that said "Be nice to me, I tried to give blood today." :D

Nowadays, I definitely would not have that problem...but alas, I keep meaning to go donate and never seem to get there. :(

I'm A+. My DH is O+ so he really ought to do it too, that's what they need the most.

Thanks for the reminder, Rachel.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I am not allowed to donate blood..I take a lot of medication for a chronic kidney disease and I have chronic anemia from the kidney disease. But even if I were in perfect health they wouldn't allow me to donate as I'm a gay male.

·
Premium Member
2,585 Posts
I voted yes-sporadically, but they won't take my blood anymore as I passed out the last time about 20 years ago and they seem to now have me on a black list.I had already given about 20 times before that. At the time I was borderline on the minimum weight, but even though I've gained some weight they won't take mine.

They won't take my DH's since he has only one kidney, but my two older sons donate regularly now.

Dawn

·
Registered
148 Posts
I don't know if I can. Can you donate if you've had a surgery in the last two years? Or is it only if you've received blood during surgery?

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess I should have done a "they wont let me" but I think that may fall under 'health'...that would cover the being gay and passing out

My DH *HATES* needles....when we got married we had to do a blood test....he told the lady she only got 'one stick'....she went and got someone else to do it!!!! I am glad cause without the blood test we couldnt have gotten married!! He donates as often as I do and has never had the lady not get it in one stick....he always gives the warning so she can get a more experienced nurse if she doesnt feel comfortable

OBI now has a 'rewards program' where you earn points for each donation and then you can buy stuff with your points....the stuff isnt that great

Rachel

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
here is a good list of eligibility requirements.....

http://www.redcross.org/services/biomed/0,1082,0_557_,00.html

excert from above link said:
Blood Transfusion
Wait for 12 months after receiving a blood transfusion from another person in the United States.

You may not donate if you received a blood transfusion since 1980 in the United Kingdom (England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Channel Islands, Isle of Man, Gibraltar or Falkland Islands). This requirement is related to concerns about variant CJD, or 'mad cow' disease. Learn more about variant CJD and blood donation.

You may not donate if you received a blood transfusion in certain countries in Africa since 1977. This requirement is related to concerns about rare strains of HIV that are not consistently detected by all current test methods. Learn more about HIV Group O, and the specific African countries where it is found.
---------------------

or

http://www.bloodbook.com/donr-requir.html#MEDICAL

excert from above link said:
Surgery (all): can donate after healed and released from physician care.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mistletoad said:
They won't allow us to donate here because we went to England.
I found this:

TRAVEL and RESIDENCY OUTSIDE of the UNITED STATES

England/United Kingdom - visited or lived in from 1980 to 1999: deferred indefinitely (this standard varies between United States FDA and The American Red Cross and the American Association of Blood Banks.

Western Europe - visited or lived in since 1980 deferred indefinitely

Born in, lived in or had sex with anyone who lived in, or received Blood products in Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Niger or Nigeria since 1977 (this list changes frequently; updates are very important): deferral indefinitely.

Lived or traveled in an area where Malaria is prevalent (Central America and South America, etc.): three-year deferral,

Other international travelers: different restrictions apply as precaution against mad cow disease, depending on what blood bank and region

For up-to-date information or opinions about American Red Cross rules about Blood donor deferrals, call 1-800-448-3543.

·
Tub-thumper
1,588 Posts
I can't donate, either, although I've tried numerous times. I don't have a high enough level of whatsits when they spin a sample. (Sorry for the high-level medical jargon :D )

Blood donation is so important and it's something so many of us can do to save a life. It's the easiest way to be a hero! :dance:

/VM

·
Columnist, Feature Writer
4,568 Posts
I did but because of a reaction I have, I can't now. The Red Cross actually asked me not to come back. I'm AB-. Only one half of one percent of the population has my blood type so other than plasma, I'm not very useful anyway.

·
bunny slave
4,389 Posts
I used to give blood, but then I traveled too much, plus I had malaria. No one wants my blood anymore, which is shame, because it's perfectly good blood, and I was rather good at giving it.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I guess I should have done a "they wont let me" but I think that may fall under 'health'...that would cover the being gay and passing out

I guess I don't understand RachAnn.... if you are gay you can't give blood? I didn't realize that.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I'm there every 60 days.
It's the one thing I can do to help other people and lay on my back to do it. lol
Take care,
Carol

·
Registered
423 Posts
I dont. Have never. I almost put because Im afraid of needles. But that is realy not the reason...(just a truth)
I have not first because of political reasons. Then because Im always pregnant or nursing. And if not for that I am torn with the religion reason. BUT, if my DH or children needed it I know I would not hesitate to give every drop in my body.
I know, cant seem to stick to my guns if it were my loved ones.

Now DH used to give ALL the time. Every time they asked and then some. Then they mad him realy mad. He quit.
But Ive heard a lot about them literally throwing it away because they had too much. And when there is a big crisis they use that to play on people to "GIVE". Its a money thing there. So I struggle hard with it. I cant stand letting those people take advantage.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
I can't because of medications that I have to take but I did until I started taking the meds. Hubby did every six weeks until he started having heart problems. The blood bank in Meridian called regularly until I finally told them that he would never be able to donate again because of the medications that he takes for his heart.

Our oldest daughter and her husband donate as often as they can. Sometimes they have problems getting daughter's blood but she keeps going back. They are the only ones in the family that can give.

sgg-Jan

1 - 20 of 56 Posts