Dominance or poor sexing

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Snowdancer, Apr 20, 2004.

1. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

My son & daughter in law have three rabbits-Califorinan/NZ crosses.
    The male is in one cage and the two females are in one huge cage-they are all about 5-6 mos old I think. For the last week the smaller female has been mounting the larger female-but at the wrong end-the smaller one keeps humping the other ones head. :confused:
    Is this normal dominance behavior for two females who've never been bred or is there a chance the sexing was incorrect and this is the actions of a young, inexperienced buck?? :eek:

Thanks for any input

Kathy

2. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Supporter

At 5-6 months you can easily tell if you've got a buck, just flip him over, you won't be able to miss those pink testicles at that age.

3. Tracy

Tracy Well-Known Member

Rabbits do better housed individually. If you have 2 does, they are exhibiting classic signs that they are ready to breed. Breed them to the buck and house in individual cages.

4. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

Thanks, yes they planned on having them in individual cages by now, but they just moved here and had to put the two females together while my son builds another 'maternity' cage. Luckily, the move didn't happen after they had bred them.

The plan is to put them in their own cages, give them a week to settle down in their new cages and then breed. Does that sound correct??

Kathy

5. Michael Leferink

Michael Leferink Well-Known Member

If the females have been mounting each other, one or both may go through a false pregnancy in about two weeks. It might be best to wait twenty or so days before attempting to mate them. It's something we have noticed with our rabbits in the past. Also, if the does are not separated soon they may start fighting and injure each other.

Good luck,

Mike

6. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

or one will keep the other from food....