dolly parton

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by donsgal, Dec 6, 2006.

1. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

There is a lot of news on the internet about the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts event the other day when Dolly was honored, along with several others.

I like Dolly Parton and always have. I like her singing, her style, her attitude. I like that she is hard working, and driven to accomplish her goals (she's a Capricorn, after all). I especially like that she is childfree.

But for a 60 year old woman, she is really really really scary looking.

When are these women going to realize that it is OK to get old and trying to stop the clock with numerous plastic surgeries and horrible make-up just makes them look ridiculous! I am surprised that someone like her would be PROUD to be 60 years old and be happy to have the necessary wrinkles and sagging skin that goes along with that honor instead of trying to look like a 20 year old.

Cher is another one. Scary, just plain scary looking. For Dolly and Cher (and many, many others) it's like halloween is every day of the year.

Ick.

donsgal

2. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

I think Dolly had a softer, more gentle look before all of the surgeries.

Speaking of folks who have changed with either age or surgery or maybe it's a combination of both-Maria Shriver Schwarzenegger.

She was on the news today discussing something about California and oh my, she's stick thin with sunken in cheeks and unusually 'tight' facial expressions. :eek:
    I don't think dieting alone would produce such a change but if it is natural, she looks sickly. I'm more inclined to think it's surgical and she didn't get the best results.:)

3. 2horses

2horses I'm a silly filly!! Supporter

Didn't Kenny Rogers do the same thing? I heard he was scary-looking and sorry about it and looking to reverse his face lift...

Pam :cool: <---------------- is not concerned with showing her age - yet...

4. FarmGoddess

FarmGoddess Well-Known Member

Not knocking anyone's plastic surgery because I've been wanting a tummy tuck for ages. Two surgeries left me with a bit of a 'pooch' that won't go away no matter how many situps I do...

The really scary plastic surgery belongs to that one NYC socialite who is transforming herself into some sort of cat. Can't remember her name but if I met up with her in a dark alley, I'd run...

:hobbyhors :hobbyhors :hobbyhors

5. BasicLiving

BasicLiving Well-Known Member

I've never been a vain person, but I've always taken care in how I look. I think that's mainly due to the fact that I've been in a professional environment all my life. And I've got to admit, creeping up on 50 and working with young up and comers in thier 20s and 30s finds me examining myself in the mirrow a little closer and sad to see all the wrinkles and sags coming about. I keep up with technology and sharpen my skills so I'm competing based on knowledge and experience, minimizing the perception that I'm an old lady among this young crowd. Because I AM an old lady among this young crowd! But I have experience they can not have at thier age - and I have knowledge that can only come with age. I take advantage of that and make it a plus instead of a minus. Still, there are all these wrinkles........

Getting older effects different people different ways, and I'm sure a lot of how it effects a person has to do with a lot of different things - where you are in your life, how comfortable you are with yourself, what you feel is expected of you, etc.

I am not proud of all my wrinkles. I wish I didn't have them. But I wouldn't have surgery to remove them and I don't try to conceal them. I just look at them as a part of who I am and what it's taken to get me here. I wouldn't go back to being 20 or 30 or even 40 for all the money in all the world. I'm happy. Soon I'll be happier - when we sell our home, quit our jobs and get back to our homestead permanently! My husband doesn't see my wrinkles (what a sweetie) and I'm thinking goats and chickens will love me regardless - as long as they get fed on time!

Penny

6. margo

margo Well-Known Member

Some people seem to be unable to resist altering their faces. I always thought Priscilla Presley was pretty. Saw her on Oprah show, wow, she did something to her mouth, looked like lip surgery?, her mouth barely moved when she talked. I think she ruined herself.

Don't think I'd mess with nature even if I had the money.
    Margo

Okay, maybe do the thighs..... :grump:

7. Cornhusker

Cornhusker Unapologetically me Supporter

Speaking of scarey, anybody seen Cher lately?
    Put some clothes on Grandma. :help:

8. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

Oh that's nothing. Check out George Jones on wikipedia.com.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Country_Music_Icon_George_Jones.jpg

No, I'm not kidding. That's George Jones!

donsgal

9. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

I'm not sure your tummy tuck would count since you are repairing damage and not using to give the appearance that you are 40 years younger than you really are.

donsgal

10. JanS

JanS Well-Known Member

My word, that looks like someone wearing a George Jones mask!

11. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

mrs oz here :)

Can you say..........scary!!!! :eek:

[​IMG]

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Whatever happened to women (or men) that aged gracefully or not so gracefully. Anything is better then the Halloween mask look!

13. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Quite a number of years ago a plastic surgeon was kept so busy that he just simply couldn't keep up with all of the demands for his excellent services.

One night an idea came to him that he worked on and tweaked into a usable solution. He installed a small knob on the back of a patients head so that they could incrementally tighten their face as needed. The system worked great and tests showed that patients could use the system to tighten up and look younger for a minimum of 10 years with most averaging 12-15 years.

One day a woman asked for the procedure and as always he explained that the system had to be sparingly, very sparingly, only for special occasions, near birthdays, etc.

The woman proceeded with the operation assuring the doctor that she would use the system wisely. HOWEVER after only 5 years she returned to the doctor in a highly emotional state with many tears flowing.

She demanded to know why the system wasn't working and why she had such horrible bags under her eyes that wouldn't tighten out.

The doctor actually laughed and told the woman she had greatly over used and abused the system. He explained, "Those bags under your eyes are actually your breasts that have been raised from over tightening, nothing can be done now."

14. tinetine'sgoat

tinetine'sgoat Luvin' my family in MO

[​IMG]

Yes you are right, Dolly is scarey now! I hadn't seen her in a while, I could do with out it again. :Bawling:

15. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

I choose to remember Dolly the way she was when I met her at a friends house 40 years ago.

I sure she still has a nice heart.

big rockpile

16. emulkahi1

emulkahi1 Well-Known Member

I remember hearing Dolly say in an interview once, in a very upbeat, lighthearted sort of way thate "it takes a lot of effort to look this trashy". LOL.

I also remember reading a quote from her once in a story about her younger years that recounted her seeing the town "tramp" (as her mama called her) walk down the street. Her mom told her not to give the woman any extra attention, but Dolly thought to herself "that's exactly how I want to look someday!" (read: big huge hair, lots of makeup, etc).

Definitely not my taste. But given comments like that, it seems like she is aware of her appearance. I don't get it, but I can't help but respect her anyway....she does so many good things for those around her. I was amazed when I was visiting a friend in Knoxville, TN. She has two little ones and she got a package in the mail while I was there. Opening it she said, "oh look, Dolly sent Bobby his book for the month!" I guess she's created an organization that sends every kid in TN a book each month, up until a certain age. That's a lot of kids! A lot of logistics too. Pretty cool :).

Erin

17. cast iron

cast iron Well-Known Member

18. Judy in IN

Judy in IN Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, I LOVE Dolly Parton's attitude. I'm sure that she knows exactly what she's doing....I saw her on an awards program a few years back being an MC. She said that SOME of her parts were 35...LOL.

The thing about plastic surgery is that it doesn't work on the neck OR hands. So you'll see some gal who looks pretty good in the face, but your mind picks up that something's wrong. You look at her neck or hands, and the jig is up..

I'm suprised noone said anything about Michael J..

19. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

I heard a similar joke once except that the lady was complaining that she had a cleft in her chin and didn't want one. The doctor said. "Lady, it's not a cleft, it's your belly button. And, if you turn the knob one more tiime, you'll be wearing a goatee!"

Donsgal

20. Hears The Water

Hears The Water Well-Known Member Supporter

I tend to agree with you donsgal, but the alternative could be that everyone would look like Keith Richards
    http://www.irancartoon.com/100/kruger/Keith-Richards.jpg

God bless you and yours
    Debbie