Doll Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by MorrisonCorner, Jan 10, 2007.

1. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

We have a friend on a serious (think "charging groceries to the credit card") budget. Unfortunately, this is a fall from grace for him and his children do not have any idea of the new circumstances. He's trying keep this from them so they won't worry about the situation (I personally don't agree with this, but they're not my kids). They're expecting the situation to change, but not any time soon. Not in the next few weeks anyway.

The daughter would like an American Girl doll, like her friends have, for her birthday. I've looked on ebay, and even there they are much too expensive. She doesn't have a doll, any doll, and asking for a "doll" doesn't seem unreasonable... but this particular doll isn't at all affordable.

Unlike more urban areas I don't have thrift shops or other places to look. Is there another brand of doll which might be substituted? Something in the 15" category which isn't so pricey? I went and looked at Teddy Bears and.. ok.. I don't have kids but WOW.. we're not talking cheap here!

thanks for the combined wisdom!

2. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

Mc - I'm pming you.
    Angie

also for others... $13.99 www.sunshinecrafts.com
    Springfield collection dolls....

Angie

3. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

It's been a few years since my dd was into dolls, but Target use to carry a line of dolls that looked almost exactly like American Dolls. Carried all the doodads that went with the dolls too, like clothes, horses, houses, beds, ect. I believe they were around $15 and less.

4. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Does she like Barbie?

A few years back at Toy's R Us I got a Christmas Barbie in a Christmas gown with all of the trimmings. It was one with the big, fancy dress in the oversized box. Because it WAS right AFTER Christmas, it was marked down to $15 so I bought it for my Daughter's birthday.

If she had been any older she would have KNOWN that it was a Christmas doll that had been marked down, but she WASN'T older so she was much impressed!

And deservedly so: it was beautifull!

5. AngieM2

same doll as from sunshinecrafts.com - and they are pretty darn good, and have the same markings (hair, eyes, etc) as American Girl dolls. I have Felicity and Kirsten fm American Girl that are my daughter's, and then have the native american and the red headed look alikes, not quite the same quality, but still nice and a child can play with them.

Angie

6. WildernesFamily

WildernesFamily Milk Maid

7. MorrisonCorner

You guys are absolutely amazing! I'm forwarding the links on to Dad. Thanks loads!

8. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member Supporter

Angie, thanks for posting that link. I've been looking for some of those pillow dolls.

9. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

Dang it if I don't have to pooh-pooh another idea; please do not attempt to substitute another doll for the doll she has the wish for. It says, you are not worthy of the real thing, you are less then all the other little girls who get to have the doll, we think you are too stupid to know the different, we do not think you can handle the truth that we can not at this time afford the doll of your dreams.

Nope, didn't make me feel the least bit better, okay, PM this little girls address and I'll sent her the doll :)

Hugs
    Marlene

10. AngieM2

Marlene
    you do know these dolls runn aboutr $82 to $90 each with only the outfit they have on.?

Angie

11. COUNTRY WISHES

COUNTRY WISHES Well-Known Member

I think I would get her a baby doll or Barbie rather than a "substitute" for the American Girl doll. I agree that a lessor version of the AG doll might make her feel bad and the other girls may make comments about it. If his goal is to shield the child from his financial problems a fake of what she wants is not going to do it. Better to get something different altogether, in my opinion.

12. MorrisonCorner

Do you think a teddy bear would fly? Vermont Teddy Bear has these "make your own" bears... you pick the color, they help you stuff the bear, you get to tuck a heart into the bear, and they sew him up... I though (hoped) that a bear that Daddy went with her and helped her make would be "better?" maybe? possibly? am I nuts?

13. COUNTRY WISHES

COUNTRY WISHES Well-Known Member

How much do they cost? I would think they would run close to the AG doll? Are there Build a Bear Workshops near you? The child picks the what kind of bear they want and then actually has a hand in building it and dressing it. I think they run about $30- $40.

The reason I suggested Barbie, above is because you can get one fairly cheap and yet they are still quite popular with kids and can be used for a lot of imaginative play. Holly Hobbie and Strawberry Shortcake are somewhat in vogue again too and are not terribly exspensive.

14. jill.costello

jill.costello Well-Known Member

I gre up in the Cabbage Patch craze.... She WILL know the difference! And, sadly, the other little girls will too.

I would like to pitch in $5.00 toward the AG doll. What's the timeframe here? Someone who "knows" more of all of us softie HTers, could you please coordinate the "Doll Drive" for us? Thanks!!

15. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Well-Known Member

Any grandparents, aunts or uncles that could go in halfsies on the American Girl Doll? Maybe it could be a family gift instead of a gift just from Dad.

BTW, my daughter got her American Girl Doll when she was 8, she's now 22 and still has her on display on her bookshelf (still gets a kick out of dressing her up too :) )

16. Zipporah

Zipporah Well-Known Member

Count me in.
    How do we do it? Is there time before her B'day ?Which American girl doll does she want?

http://www.americangirl.com/

17. MorrisonCorner

Oh my... you know, we are nice people here. But stop everyone. We can't make her birthday and we need to figure out what we're going to "do." Specifically what Dad wants to do. And I don't have a clue which doll she wants. Silly me... I thought it was "a doll." No, it is many dolls!

There's a reason the DH and I didn't have kids... how complicated is childhood nowadays?!?

Although looking them over, I'm leaning towards the enterprising "Kit" growing up during the Depression. Or is that a little too close to the truth?

18. Zipporah

Zipporah Well-Known Member

I love Kit,She is one I'm saving money for to buy dd later on.When is her birthday?

19. MorrisonCorner

Next weekend. Can you believe it, next weekend. I couldn't have found out about this 6 weeks ago...

I can't get a read on Kit... does she best the Great Depression by thrift and creativity which is more or less believable and perhaps even applicable to this situation? In other words, could Kit be used as a starting point for a serious conversation?