Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Uber Tuber
6,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a really really bad day, and I need a hug!

Today my ever lovin spud muffin hooked our utility trailer up to the pickup truck and he left for work in his car. Later I left in the truck to get hay. I drove slowly up the hill from the ranch, and when I got to the highway, before merging into traffic, I looked in the rear view mirror and saw the front of the trailer bounce up (off the ball) before crashing into the back of the truck! The tongue of the trailer was jammed under the back of the truck with the weight of the trailer hanging on the safety chains. If I moved the truck forward, the trailer followed, because we were facing downhill.

I called my hubby to let him know what had happened, but told him not to leave work, until I was sure I couldn't fix this myself. I finally realized I needed to block the trailer tires. After that I was able to pull the truck forward far enough to crank the handle on the leg (previously jammed under the bumper). I got the trailer hooked up again, and was back on my way.

At the base of the mountain, on a 2 lane highway, the trailer came off the ball again, and I pulled to the narrow shoulder, dragging the trailer by the safety chain. I was in a cell phone dead zone, so I couldn't call anyone. I got out to check and this time the trailer was jammed under the truck's bumper BUT GOOD! As I was looking at this mess, and getting mad, I realized I was being stung by, and surrounded by bees! I jumped back into the truck, and from there I could see a guy in beekeeper garb working his hives a short distance from where I was. What to do? My cell didn't work, and I couldn't call for help. There was very little shoulder, and I would have to walk at least 2 miles to get to where I had a signal again.

I decided that I was going to have to block the trailer tires again and try pulling the truck forward, and hopefully, that would dislodge the trailer. No dice, the trailer jumped over the rocks I used as blocks, and each time I got out of the truck, I was surrounded by bees again.

So I did the only thing I could think of. Slowly, I drove along the shoulder of the road, hoping the trailer would dislodge itself from under the bumper. After about a quarter of a mile a side road offered up a chuck hole that I was able to drive over, allowing the trailer leg to fall into the hole. Finally free, I was able to hook it up again.

I was slowly and carefully back on the road. I found a U-Haul place. They didn't work on trailers, so I went to one nearby he recommended. They couldn't fix it. Different type of hitch, So I was limping along to a place that did work on travel trailers. BOOM, the trailer was off the ball, and rear-ending me again!

I pulled into the center turn lane, because by now it was rush hour, and I couldn't get to the right shoulder because of traffic. I had saved a big rock I had used earlier to block the trailer tire. I went back and looked at the ball. It suddenly looked very small compared to the doohickey that fits over it. I rubbed the grease off the top and it said 2". That trailer calls for a 2-5/16" ball! I dug around in the truck and found the right sized ball and put that on, got it hooked up again, and was finally safe to be on the road!

We have several new dents on the rear bumper. The leg and crank assembly on the trailer is mangled, but it never got away from me, and no one was hurt, so we are blessed.

When I finally got onto the freeway, traffic was backed up. The source of the backup was a pickup and trailer, not too different from what I was driving! The truck and trailer were both pretty badly damaged, and the trailer was unhooked from the truck. It looked to me like his trailer had come unhooked from his truck and pulled him out of control.

Hubby is red faced for using the wrong ball. The truth is that I was the driver, and I should have checked it myself. In the future I will, and I won't wait until the third time it popped off to do so. I showed hubby the mangled parts of the trailer and tried to convince him that I only screw up when pulling the trailer, so I shouldn't be trusted with it, but no luck there. He says I did just fine and will ask me to do it again in the future.

And he knew I was coming home upset, and sore, and much later than expected, without hay. He went out and got my favorite Chinese food for supper! Still, I need that hug!

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
Hugs!!!! wowzer....yours was much worse than mine. I did a number on our truck with the horse trailer yesterday. It's a gooseneck and I thought I had it close enough to the ball to hitch but it wasn't so I lifted it back up and got back in the truck to reposition. I pulled forward and Ka-BOOM! I guess I didn't lift it...I jacked it down and it was resting on 1/2 the ball. I'm lucky it didn't slide right through my back window. But oh jeez..the scrapes and chunks of dents in my truck bed :( And a small dent in the tailgate from the trailer bashing into it. The worse part was showing it to hubby...I'm always bragging about how good I am hitching on the first try. I am so glad you didn't get hurt really bad...you could have and that is scary. The bees...I guess it just wasn't bad enough already! More hugs.......

·
Uber Tuber
6,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hugs right back atcha Minelson, sounds like you had a bad trailer day too!

·
Premium Member
4,440 Posts
SOUNDS LIKE A TERRIBLE HORRIBLE NO GOOD VERY BAD DAY--things can only go up,right? Lots of hugs coming your way. Reminds me of my dad who was pulling a little U-Haul trailer and he turned to Mom and said did you see that trailer in the corn field...it looks like ours. DUH! Note,my dad was total city boy and didn't even learn to drive until his 30's...Mom learned in Model A or T or whatever and,thank goodness, she usually drove or we'd probably all be dead long since. DEE

·
Uber Tuber
6,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AngieM2, that cute goofy little hug cracks me up!

Mutti, I am seeing I am not the only one having adventures in trailering!

Thank you both!

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
Glad you are safe. glad you have a DH that can bring home food. Glad the trailer still works and the truck...well, that it's still in one piece.

What a day!

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
CT, I hope tomorrow is better for you. It has been my experience that when I have days like that, and I have a lot of them, I just sigh a big sigh and hang on. I have never had more than a couple of them in a row. I am so glad you are safe! I am also glad that it was not me and my dd Devon in that truck, she is terrified of bees, she would have been in hysterics!
God bless you and yours
Deb

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
Glad no ones hurt and hopefully those dents are small. This farmer friend of mine was pulling a trailer of tobacco thirty miles to get it home.When he started slowing down to turn in his drive way,he looked in the mirrow and missed that load of tobacco. He turned around and drove twenty seven miles before he spotted that trailer over in the edge of the woods. Kinda makes you wonder where was his mind on that trip home. You were paying attention to what was going on. This farmer never looked back the whole trip:doh: Eddie

·
An Ozark Engineer
13,441 Posts
Oh, wow. What a horrible string of events to ruin your day. I'm glad it all turned out well in the end, though. Some days it's just not worth getting up out of bed, is it?

(((hugs)))

NeHi

·
Premium Member
4,281 Posts
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Common Tator}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

·
Uber Tuber
6,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you all for the hugs! I was afraid if I hugged DH, I would squeeze till his head popped off, or at least his face!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts